Re: Map of middle earth

Kris Kowal

Sep 13, 2010, 11:49:31 AM9/13/10
to Eric Burk, enno...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Eric Burk <em_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm quite impressed by your art. The map of middle earth is quite
> excellently done, and I want one like it.
>
> What would it take to get either a large image file with all the elements
> assembled that I could use to make a large wall poster for my own private
> use, or possibly buy some kind of print from you?
>
> If either of those is not possible (and I certainly wouldn't blame you for
> jealously protecting your art) merely accept the compliments of an admirer.

Thanks. The work, including the source material,
is available with a CC-BY-NC-SA license.

http://3rin.gs/about.html

All the information about generating the map is here, which you can use
to generate images of any resolution, admittedly with some time and effort.

http://github.com/kriskowal/3rin.gs/

I'll make a point to publish an 8Kx8K pixel image, which I think is sufficient
resolution for prints 2 meters to a side.

I have reservations about selling prints myself until such a time as I can
acquire permission from the Tolkiens' publisher. I've made a note to send them
another letter.

Thanks,
Kris Kowal