Any Help Needed?

Jack Mitchell

Nov 17, 2012, 8:30:30 PM11/17/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
I love this site as maps are a great help for the novels and your site is the best out there!

I am willing to help to improve the map in any way, I have the books on kindle so I can search for any locations which should be useful, so if you have any jobs then I am more than willing to help.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
Jack Mitchell

Kris Kowal

Nov 17, 2012, 10:02:15 PM11/17/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
If anyone is up for a *big* job, I would like to make a version 2 of
this using web fonts so the label layers could be edited online, and
so locations can be clicked to bring up the info box. This would
unlock a lot of opportunity for crowd-sourcing translations and
annotation.

I started experimenting with using CSS transforms for incremental
zooming and touch gestures on tablets. This project involves some
linear algebra and is not for the feint of heart.

Eryniel Elmiris did an amazing amount of work translating every
location into German, but I don’t have the time to draw all of the
calligraphy by hand. Making it easy to edit the labels online would go
a long way toward that goal.

It would be great to put together a timeline or tours, perhaps working
with lotrproject.com’s wonderful resources.

Kris Kowal

Nov 17, 2012, 9:57:40 PM11/17/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Jack Mitchell
<jackmitc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I love this site as maps are a great help for the novels and your site is
> the best out there!

Thank you so much!

> I am willing to help to improve the map in any way, I have the books on
> kindle so I can search for any locations which should be useful, so if you
> have any jobs then I am more than willing to help.

There is so much more that could be done with this site, and an
infinite amount of time I could spend on it. Unfortunately, I am not
allocating much time toward maintaining 3rin.gs. I did do some work
recently for a Tengwar Transcriber at http://3rin.gs/tengwar/, but it
could definitely use more effort too.

There are a great many small things that could be improved.

What skills or ambitions for skills do you bring to the table? I might
be able to tailor some small thing to show you how some of this
monstrosity works. Like, if you have some skill with jQuery or web
development, your favorite component, the search bar, could use a
*lot* of improvement in terms of handling the enter key properly and
cross-browser testing.

All of the source is on Github if you can take some time to explore.
Much of the code is disposable if there’s a better way to get the job
done. https://github.com/kriskowal/3rin.gs

Kris Kowal

Jack Mitchell

Nov 19, 2012, 11:15:41 AM11/19/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
I would love to learn how to write code and other computer based topics but I think that is a bit too far advanced!

Any help that I can bring to the map no matter how tedious or long I would love to do, so whatever you think needs improving the most and that you can show me I will be happy to work on and then then once finished go onto the next project!

Thanks
Jack Mitchell

Kris Kowal

Nov 20, 2012, 6:52:31 PM11/20/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Jack Mitchell
<jackmitc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would love to learn how to write code and other computer based topics but
> I think that is a bit too far advanced!

Are you familiar or could you become familiar with Inkscape?

Can you draw?

Would you be comfortable doing research and building spreadsheets that
programs can use, with Excel or Google Docs?

Jack Mitchell

Nov 21, 2012, 10:57:51 AM11/21/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
I have never used Inkscape plus I cannot draw, so I think that is out of the equation!

I am quite good at using excel so would be more than happy to use that. Just tell me what data to input and where and I will get started ASAP.

Jack Mitchell

Nov 21, 2012, 3:02:21 PM11/21/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
I also found that part of the Running River is missing:

Kris Kowal

Nov 23, 2012, 4:16:05 PM11/23/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! You can file bug reports here
https://github.com/kriskowal/3rin.gs/issues

Regarding the map, please take into account that I update it very
infrequently. Eryniel did an amazing job populating a spreadsheet with
the German translation more than a year ago, but I have not found time
or a way to honor her effort more than including the German
translations in the description boxes for each location. Whatever work
you do, I will not be in a hurry to make use of it. Ideally, I would
be able to build a community of interested developers to help out with
the project and would not an obstacle to releasing new editions, but
the combination of interest, ability, and time are hard to find.

So foremost, thank you for volunteering!

You might consider reviewing some of the spreadsheets I’ve made and
use to track the state of the map.

This is a table that I use to generate references in the description
boxes for each location. Large parts of it were generated
automatically by a variety of scripts. The leftmost column is an
"identifier" for each location, which I use to cross-reference
locations. These are used in multiple spreadsheets and also in some
graphics, particularly a vector graphic that denotes the bounding
boxes for each location.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An5phhxDkYDPdFJFdkN3SGhCRDJpanM5YUZFY24tZnc&authkey=CJee_rkM&authkey=CJee_rkM#gid=0

The next spreadsheet contains the names for every location. Each name
has a meaning in a particular language, but many names are used in
multiple languages. For example, Mordor is an Elvish word, but the
location is known by that name in every language. This spreadsheet
captures both of these dimensions.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An5phhxDkYDPdG05Qk9oTU1FVlhEWlNqTkMwbjBPUmc#gid=0

The next spreadsheet has one row for every location. Many of the
columns were for my own use in tracking whether I had made a label,
the number of the sheet of paper I wrote it on, and whether it had
been scanned and post-processed. Those columns will be of little use
for you. However, the "Notes" column, the "Quote" column, and the
"Citation" column populate the first part of the description box on
the map. Many of the locations don’t have descriptions. That would be
a great project.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An5phhxDkYDPdEkweHFFWjR4bTlzd3Nxb282UmJQVVE#gid=0

The "Citation" column is for the "Quote" and must be one of the
references in this spreadsheet to get linked properly.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An5phhxDkYDPdEVVeGQ3TVJJaHoxVVRHNW9BR2RQWlE&authkey=CPaN-I4G&authkey=CPaN-I4G#gid=0

I also started working on a spreadsheet that catalogs all of the
Elvish roots and where they are attested. I don’t remember where I
left off and it isn’t used anywhere, but maybe you could do something
with it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An5phhxDkYDPdGdHbjZPUHk5RGViOWlUMUpFN19ES0E#gid=0

Some day I want to make a picture gallery that depicts each of the
locations on the map. The first step would be to make a spreadsheet
for works of art that depict each location. As a first pass, I’d like
to have a spreadsheet that indexes all of the pictures on Ted
Nasmith’s website that depict locations in Middle-earth. It would need
only two columns: a link to the web page on Ted Nasmith’s site, and a
canonical location identifier from the Locations of Middle-earth
spreadsheet.

These are just a few ideas. Probably the best thing for me to do would
be to write tools that made it easier to contribute!

Kris

Jack Mitchell

Nov 23, 2012, 6:55:40 PM11/23/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
Yes I have looked at a few of these spreadsheets before, and beginning to understand them but I don't understand how the website uses this information to create the functioning map.

What spreadsheet needs work on? Please tell me which one and tell me how to improve it!

If none of them need drastic improvements then I can get started on the indexing spreadsheet  which I believe all is needed is just one columns with links to pictures on mymiddleearth and then referencing onto one of your spread sheets, I believe?
--
Thanks
Jack Mitchell

Jack Mitchell

Nov 23, 2012, 7:11:58 PM11/23/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
I was also thinking of the following things:

 - A scale in the bottom left hand corner that shows the measurements and that changes for what ever scale you are on
 - A improved zoom such as a scroll rather that pre-set scales
 - Advertise the map on LOTR forums, due to the hobbit release which is very soon there will be a a lot more interest! There is little interest in this map, from what i am guessing (I could be wrong!) So we really need to push this out into the market. What do you think?

I know you haven't got much time to spend on the website so I will talk about it on forums and other websites which may interest more volunteers which is what we need!
--
Thanks
Jack Mitchell

Jack Mitchell

Nov 23, 2012, 7:47:55 PM11/23/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
Another good feature would be on key places such as Rivendell would be a pop up box with images, links and a short paragraph like the one on google maps!

Again just an idea!
--
Thanks
Jack Mitchell

Kris Kowal

Nov 23, 2012, 9:11:21 PM11/23/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Jack Mitchell
<jackmitc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> - A scale in the bottom left hand corner that shows the measurements and
> that changes for what ever scale you are on

I made the graphics for this a long time ago.

> - A improved zoom such as a scroll rather that pre-set scales

I began this work a month or so ago, between jobs. It is an
interesting project, fraught with linear algebra, browser
compatibility and performance constraints.

In any case, I would like to do all these things.

I would also like to make a new vector version of the map, based directly on

http://www.lords-of-blah.nl/mearth/mearthmap.html

…converting all the geography to color and removing the textual
labels. I would then make a tool to allow the labels to be edited with
web fonts in a web browser. I would make the labels and icons for each
location clickable, and bring up description boxes and ancillary
graphics.

Alas that my ambitions far over-extend my abilities. It took six
months to make the map you see and I could spend years improving it.

> - Advertise the map on LOTR forums, due to the hobbit release which is very
> soon there will be a a lot more interest! There is little interest in this
> map, from what i am guessing (I could be wrong!) So we really need to push
> this out into the market. What do you think?

3rin.gs gets about 250 visits per day. It got 20,000 visitors on the
day it was promoted on neetorama.com and geekologie.com in September
of 2010.

It would be due for another round of promotions if I managed to put
together a major release, but that won’t happen before this Hobbit
movie release, I can assure.

> I know you haven't got much time to spend on the website so I will talk
> about it on forums and other websites which may interest more volunteers
> which is what we need!

Thanks!

Jack Mitchell

Nov 24, 2012, 9:19:44 AM11/24/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
So what do you want me to get started with?
--
Thanks
Jack Mitchell

Kris Kowal

Nov 24, 2012, 1:05:22 PM11/24/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, November 24, 2012, Jack Mitchell wrote:
So what do you want me to get started with?

Perhaps finding suitable "Notes" for each location in the Locations spreadsheet would be the most fruitful use of your time! Quotes with citations that describe the place would be welcome if you find them. The next most useful would be an index of Ted Nasmith’s art for each location with any metadata you can find, like titles. All the while, if you find good articles relevant to a particular location, be sure to add a row to the Links spreadsheet.
Let your passion be your guide, of course. I can only suggest,

Do you agree?

Jack Mitchell

Nov 24, 2012, 1:23:58 PM11/24/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
Is this what you were looking for:

Does anything need adding or taking away? It is quite hard to find all the drawings as they are all mixed up so a lot are repeated. I have tried my best to name the location to one that can be found via the search bar on your map but that is quite hard for some such as the 'Elf Woods' title so i have to guess where there are by using info such as if they are in woods and where they should be in terms of the journey.
--
Thanks
Jack Mitchell

Kris Kowal

Nov 24, 2012, 1:45:41 PM11/24/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
This is good! The last one is Hennet Anûn, the waterfall near Cair Andros. I think your guess is on the mark for Woody End.

My automation would need another column with the corresponding Cannonical name from the Locations spreadsheet. It would also be good to have a link to the page that contains the image you linked. I'll need to use that link as a citation or Ted Nasmith would have very little reason to give permission for us to embed thumbnails of his work on the map. From there it would be good to have a column with the title of the painting, and perhaps a description of when and where it was published. I think you can find all that on the site.

And, if that is just a beginning and you still have time, you might seek out other artists. I do not think John Howe likes giving permission to reference his work, and his site is much harder to work with, but there are numerous artists. Tolkien Gateway is a great resource for finding art and artists.

If you add more artists, you will need an Artist column.

Jack Mitchell

Nov 25, 2012, 3:00:24 PM11/25/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
I have added all of the pictures and all the links from the website, I just need you to add the Cannonical name (which i believe just means the same? And it can be read by computers?) Other Than that i think Teds Drawings are done!

I will have a look around for other good artists.
--
Thanks
Jack Mitchell

Kris Kowal

Nov 26, 2012, 4:17:03 PM11/26/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Jack Mitchell
<jackmitc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have added all of the pictures and all the links from the website, I just
> need you to add the Cannonical name (which i believe just means the same?
> And it can be read by computers?) Other Than that i think Teds Drawings are
> done!

I filled in the canonical names where applicable. I added columns for
the artist name, the description from the artist’s site, and an
“editor’s description” for us to comment on the picture for the
purpose of the map.

Yeah, canonical just means that it’s the one name that refers to the
location so my programs can connect the dots. The reason for it is
that every location has at least two names, like Erebor / Lonely
Mountain.

> I will have a look around for other good artists.

Awesome, thanks!

Jack Mitchell

Nov 26, 2012, 4:24:48 PM11/26/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
Will get onto the artists tomorrow.

Can you find a way to incorporate this into the map because if you can then I will think of other improvements to the map that I can make!
--
Thanks
Jack Mitchell

Kris Kowal

Nov 26, 2012, 4:41:02 PM11/26/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
Alright, short term, I could put pictures in the info box. I would
need to get thumbnails, about 200px wide, for each of the images. I
would make them links back to the artist’s site, and generate a
caption from the Title, Artist’s Description, and Editor’s
Description.

Kris Kowal

Jack Mitchell

Nov 26, 2012, 4:43:46 PM11/26/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
Ok, all the photos are shown on the website with a thumbnails, don't know what size they are but they may work.

What do you need? The image, Image URL, Page URL?
--
Thanks
Jack Mitchell

Kris Kowal

Nov 26, 2012, 4:45:05 PM11/26/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Jack Mitchell
<jackmitc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, all the photos are shown on the website with a thumbnails, don't know
> what size they are but they may work.
> What do you need? The image, Image URL, Page URL?

An zip archive or we can share a Dropbox folder. Either way, we’d need
a column with the corresponding file name.

Kris

Jack Mitchell

Nov 26, 2012, 4:46:15 PM11/26/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
Can we use google drive? that is like drop box, only i don't have a dropbox account
--
Thanks
Jack Mitchell

Kris Kowal

Nov 26, 2012, 4:47:06 PM11/26/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Jack Mitchell
<jackmitc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can we use google drive? that is like drop box, only i don't have a dropbox
> account

That would work fine.

Jack Mitchell

Nov 26, 2012, 4:51:11 PM11/26/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
The thumbnails on the website are 280x200
--
Thanks
Jack Mitchell

Kris Kowal

Nov 26, 2012, 4:52:34 PM11/26/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Jack Mitchell
<jackmitc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The thumbnails on the website are 280x200

That’s fine—I can work with that.

Jack Mitchell

Nov 26, 2012, 5:11:03 PM11/26/12
to enno...@googlegroups.com
Yea i have the folder and i am in dropbox will will it up tomorrow. Having problems will my gmail 'new look as well so sorry for the slow replys.
--
Thanks
Jack Mitchell