my purchase of Enki packages

Kestrel Gates

Mar 19, 2014, 1:41:26 AM3/19/14
to enki-ex...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I want to share here with folks interested in Enki my personal perspective on the no reselling policy and the cost of the curriculum.

I own Kindergarten and Grade 1, the latter of which I am currently using.  I have ordered Grades 2 and 3.
With my purchase of these packages I know that I am not just getting the education that I belief best suited to my family, I know that I am supporting the birth of a new educational paradigm.  Enki is not "Waldorf light" or a simple mishmash of various ideas.  It does integrate many different pieces from various educational philosophies, but it is a whole system in and of its self.

With my purchase of these packages, I know that I am supporting a philosophy and world view that I deeply believe in.  As an American, I can speak to how pervasive Eurocentricity is and how powerful white privilege is.  My children are not white.  We live in a small community where we stand out everywhere we go.  So for me, bringing them an education that brings to life the humanity and wisdom from people around the world feels tremendously important.  I could not do this without outside support.  What Enki brings to this goal is a deep understanding of how children learn coupled with a huge commitment to cultural authenticity.  If we bring "cultures of the world" to children in a way that is not respectful of the culture it quickly becomes cultural appropriation and it becomes a continuation of power and oppression.  Authenticating the cultural aspects in each grade, from what I hear and what I can imagine, take a tremendous amount of work.

So when I buy a homeschool package from Enki, I know that I am supporting the real work of bringing about a more peaceful world.

Kestrel

Jessica N Colorado

May 19, 2014, 6:46:45 PM5/19/14
to enki-ex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kestrel,
I'm coming from a different place, as my children ARE white, as am I and is my husband. I lived in Chicago for ten years, where cultures do intermingle, sometimes seamlessly, sometimes not. It is when I return to Kansas, where I was raised, that I really notice the lack of acceptance of other cultures, and blatant racism to be honest. It's weird to be with my extended family and hear categorizing sort of comments coming from them, and in front of my children. It feels out of place for me. I find Enki, which embraces the inherent wisdom and vitality as a birthright for all (embracing the Perennial Philosophy), a perfect fit for my family. Thank you for sharing your perspective here, very valuable.