Apparent change in behavior of "+" key inside repeat groups with style=pages

Samson Amwata

Mar 29, 2022, 6:31:28 AM3/29/22
to enketo-users
This is an issue that was reported to Ona community and I will like to get more information from the team on the experience you had with Enketo older versions.
Ona runs on Enketo V 3..1..0

In summary, the problem is that:

1. Pressing “+” inside the repeat group adds a repeat group and adds one more page, but
2. Does not take the user immediately to the first question of the new repeat group (like it used to do, sometime back)

I checked with three different forms, two of I did long ago. In the past, pressing “+” inside a repeat group added a repeat group and took the user immediately to the first question in the new repeat group. But now it no longer does this on any of the forms.

You can reproduce the strange behavior with the enclosed xls form.

Also, I made a short video where I step through the example test form and show the changed behavior.

I also tried the forms out on Kobotools to see if that mattered, and the “new” behavior happens there too.

Thus, it seems possible that the change of behavior results from some change at the level of ODK or Enketo. Of course (and what is more likely), I also may be making some silly mistake.

Please advise. The new behavior confuses the enumerators, who are not very sophisticated with phone apps, so it would be very convenient to revert to the previous behavior of the “+” button inside repeat groups.

John Milner

Mar 29, 2022, 2:42:21 PM3/29/22
to enketo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Samson,

In the video, you say that this worked "10 days ago". Could you find out from Ona what version of Enketo they were running then? I'm guessing it was older than 2.8.1, which is what KoboToolbox still runs—at least on the public instances ee.kobotoolbox.org and ee.humanitarianresponse.info.

If you're confident this worked with the same XLSForm in version X but not in 2.8.1 or 3.1.0, then I'd suggest you open an issue at https://github.com/enketo/enketo-express/issues. It'd be helpful if you included your XLSForm there to make it easier for the developers to reproduce the issue.

Thanks,

John

Message has been deleted

Evans Ochieng Onyango

Mar 31, 2022, 9:39:16 AM3/31/22
to enketo-users
Hello John,

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently on version 3.1.0. We will try and test the form on Kobo as well which is currently on 2.8.1 and see if there is any difference. We will revert with feedback.

Regards,
Evans

John Milner

Mar 31, 2022, 10:10:13 AM3/31/22
to enketo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Evans,

In case it saves you some time: Samson (and I) already tried this on Kobo's installation of Enketo 2.8.1 and the problem exists there as well.

If Ona upgraded recently from 2.5.19, then I would guess the issue was introduced somewhere between 2.5.19 and 2.8.1.

Thanks,

John

Evans Ochieng Onyango

Apr 1, 2022, 10:38:20 AM4/1/22
to enketo-users
Thanks a lot John. That definitely saves me some time. In that case, I will raise an issue with Enketo developers to see if we can get support on this.

Regards,
Evans