Is it a good idea to use ChatGPT to write first drafts of OER?

Anna Mills

Mar 27, 2023, 12:23:13 AM3/27/23
to English OER
In the article "AI, Instructional Design, and OER," David Wiley recommends tools like ChatGPT as a way to rapidly generate first drafts of instructional materials including textbook chapters, discussion questions, quizzes, examples, etc.

I am wondering whether this is a good idea, especially in English/Writing Studies. My experience writing an OER textbook with co-authors was that much deep reflection about how I wanted to frame things was involved at every stage.  Starting with ChatGPT running GPT-4 would probably not have worked to help me think through and develop my approach.

However, asking ChatGPT for feedback or suggestions for examples might have been helpful.

I wonder if anyone has tried using ChatGPT for instructional materials.
Wiley makes the interesting point that one court ruling puts ChatGPT outputs in the public domain and hence fair game for incorporation.

Anna Mills
@EnglishOER