Seagull and Norton Alternatives

Sarah Bosler

Apr 29, 2024, 7:26:43 PMApr 29
to English OER
Can anyone suggest some good OER alternatives for the following titles:

Little Seagull Handbook with Exercises: 2021 MLA Update

Norton Introduction to Literature Shorter (w/Access Card)

Norton Field Guide to Writing with Handbook, 6th edition w/ eBook & InQuizitive access

I'm exploring the ENGL resources on the OERI page:
Curious if anyone has suggested alternatives.

Thanks,

Sarah Bosler
Public Services Librarian
Citrus College
Glendora, CA

Anna Mills

Apr 29, 2024, 7:41:01 PMApr 29
to English OER
Hmm, good question!  I don't know which texts fit the specific approaches of those books.
My own How Arguments Work: A Guide to Writing and Analyzing Texts in College has Canvas ancillary quizzes, and might be parallel to the Norton Field Guide to Writing with Handbook and/or the Little Seagull Handbook. The Excelsior Owl is another resource that might be of interest there.
Best,
Anna Mills
College of Marin

Susan Wright

Apr 30, 2024, 11:13:20 AMApr 30
to Anna Mills, English OER
Anna,

what is the link to your book?  I don't think I have seen that book and if I did I was unaware of the Canvas Quizzes... what a help that would be!

Thanks so much
Sue

Prof. Sue
she, her, hers

Susan Dara Wright
Adjunct Professor Department of Writing Studies
Montclair State University, Montclair NJ

Susan Wright

Apr 30, 2024, 11:24:43 AMApr 30
to Sarah Bosler, English OER
Sarah,

If you haven't seen OpenStax Writing Guide I think that would be a great fit for the Norton Field Guide with Handbook.  This not only covers all the genres but does have a handbook section.  It also has wonderful resources that go with it, there is a Toolkit - ie Word/Google files that are like a workbook drafting tool with some exercises and even sentence stem activities, IM for instructors, PowerPoints, and Canvas Cartridge, etc.  The book is 100% adaptable as  Google/Word files and even has an online feature where students can add their own highlights and such. Open Stax is run out of Rice University and has a wonderfully supportive staff.  If you haven't heard of them check them out at https://openstax.org/details/books/writing-guide.  I have been using this for since the Pandemic and I have been very happy with it.

I also use sections of the College Success Textbooks on Time Management, Learning Styles, Critical Thinking, and Studying to augment my class when needed.  Again, it has all the resources and supports of a paid text.  That link is https://openstax.org/details/books/college-success

Does anyone know of something that would be like InQuisitive by Norton?  My students like that self paced and optional practice but I can't find an OER or free version of something similar.

Christiana Graham

Apr 30, 2024, 1:32:49 PMApr 30
to Susan Wright, Sarah Bosler, English OER
Hi everyone,

Here is another general/reference writing book I include in my OER online courses. I hope this helps.

Pilar Graham

--

Pilar Graham
www.pilargraham.com

Ramirez, Fairuze

Apr 30, 2024, 3:11:41 PMApr 30
to Susan Wright, Anna Mills, English OER
Good Morning, ALL!

I hope you find these two supplemental OER textbooks helpful:

And this one, too:

Kindest Regards!

​Fairuze Ahmed Ramirez-Rosie (She/Her)
Adjunct Professor of English Composition & ESL
Department of English & Language Studies
Cosumnes River College

Land Acknowledgement:
I acknowledge the land currently occupied by Cosumnes River College as the traditional home of the Miwok and Nisenan people. I recognize their culture as rich with spiritual ties to the land and waters that resonate with their traditions, and I thank and honor those indigenous people of this area.

Apr 30, 2024, 3:13:53 PMApr 30
to English OER
Hi Sue, thanks--UI should have included the link! My book is at HowArgumentsWork.org, and the information on accessing the quizzes and other ancillaries is at https://human.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Composition/Advanced_Composition/How_Arguments_Work_-_A_Guide_to_Writing_and_Analyzing_Texts_in_College_(Mills)/15%3A_Teacher's_Guide/15.02%3A_Quizzes_Essay_Assignments_and_Other_Ancillary_Materials
Let me know if you have questions as you look at it!
Best, Anna

Anna Mills

Apr 30, 2024, 9:20:01 PMApr 30
to English OER
Thanks, everyone! It's great to see the book recommendations. As to a bank of quizzes, that is something I've proposed as a project in the past because I'm not aware of a full suite of OER exercises comparable to the commercial packages like Macmillan's Achieve and Norton's Inquizitive. My textbook has one quiz per chapter as well as ten grammar quizzes.  The Excelsior OWL has some as well: https://owl.excelsior.edu/writing-refresher/