OER handbook upgrade?

Anna Mills

Dec 14, 2021, 7:41:44 PM12/14/21
to engli...@googlegroups.com
Just putting this out there in a casual way... I'm considering the idea of a remixed, revised, expanded OER grammar and style handbook with examples and exercises that are student-chosen and represent diverse, marginalized identities.

I have been using our new How Arguments Work Correcting Grammar and Punctuation and Style: Shaping Our Sentences chapters to teach concepts on an individualized basis and am going to add in the Canvas quizzes we just published next semester (Shout out to all the collaborators who wrote and edited these quizzes over the last six months!), but these chapters and quizzes are not complete, and the examples need livening up.

Would it be cool to do an open pedagogy project where we ask students to invent interesting sentences to illustrate how to fix fragments, etc?  Or perhaps we could encourage reading for pleasure by asking students to choose great sentences from articles they recommend. We could also have students annotate the existing explanations of grammar and style points to help us improve them.

I'm wondering how much savings such a handbook could create for students if it could substitute for a commercial handbook or online subscription to Norton InQuizitive, etc.

Would anyone like to Zoom brainstorm with me sometime?

Anna Mills
English Instructor, City College of San Francisco
Pronouns: she, her, hers