Where is "this" parish?

1 view

Steve Hayes

Mar 26, 2017, 12:36:25 AM3/26/17
I found the following record in FamilySearch:

William Sandercock
England, Cornwall Parish Registers
Name William Sandercock
Event Type Marriage
Event Date 23 Dec 1754
Event Place Cornwall, Cornwall, England, United Kingdom
Residence Place Of This Parish
Gender Male
Spouse's Name Mary Symons
Spouse's Gender Female
Page 95
Citing this Record

"England, Cornwall Parish Registers, 1538-2010," database with images,
FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2Z4-Y6MD : 30
November 2016), William Sandercock and Mary Symons, 23 Dec 1754;
citing Marriage, Cornwall, Cornwall, England, United Kingdom, Cornwall
Records Office, Truro.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2Z4-Y6MD

I can't find any record of a parish called "Cornwall" in Cornwall, or
anywhere else in England for that matter, so I can only suppose that
the person who was typing the index had a bad night, and typed
Cornwall twice instead of typing the name of the parish.

Does anyone know of any way of finding the name of the parish?

--
Steve Hayes
Web: http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com/

Graeme Wall

Mar 26, 2017, 3:46:14 AM3/26/17
View the image from the link and reset the page number (top left) to 1
and start from there. Good luck with the handwriting!

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Ian Goddard

Mar 26, 2017, 4:06:06 AM3/26/17
On 26/03/17 05:38, Steve Hayes wrote:

> https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2Z4-Y6MD

The heading above the image says "England, Cornwall Parish Registers,
1538-2010 Cornwall Withiel Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1567-1786" so I
guess it's http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/Withiel

--
Hotmail is my spam bin. Real address is ianng
at austonley org uk

Steve Hayes

Mar 26, 2017, 6:34:29 AM3/26/17
On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 09:06:04 +0100, Ian Goddard
<godd...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 26/03/17 05:38, Steve Hayes wrote:
>
>> https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2Z4-Y6MD
>
>The heading above the image says "England, Cornwall Parish Registers,
>1538-2010 Cornwall Withiel Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1567-1786" so I
>guess it's http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/Withiel

Ah, thanks.

Evertjan.

Mar 26, 2017, 11:50:34 AM3/26/17
Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote on 26 Mar 2017 in
soc.genealogy.britain:

> On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 09:06:04 +0100, Ian Goddard
> <godd...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 26/03/17 05:38, Steve Hayes wrote:
>>
>>> https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2Z4-Y6MD
>>
>>The heading above the image says "England, Cornwall Parish Registers,
>>1538-2010 Cornwall Withiel Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1567-1786" so I
>>guess it's http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/Withiel
>
> Ah, thanks.

Ah, thats where I got 'lost' in Lostwithiel,
when the mayor and the local garage owner were still one and the same.

['Lost' being the tail, 'Withiel' being the woodlands.]

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Roger Mills

Mar 26, 2017, 11:54:46 AM3/26/17
On 26/03/2017 11:36, Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 09:06:04 +0100, Ian Goddard
> <godd...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 26/03/17 05:38, Steve Hayes wrote:
>>
>>> https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2Z4-Y6MD
>>
>> The heading above the image says "England, Cornwall Parish Registers,
>> 1538-2010 Cornwall Withiel Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1567-1786" so I
>> guess it's http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/Withiel
>
> Ah, thanks.

Interesting. I've been to Lostwithiel many times, but had never heard of
Withiel, so had to look it up. It's quite a small place - mainly
scattered farmsteads - just to the south-west of Bodmin. It does appear
(from Google Streetview) to have a church - which is probably where the
marriage in question took place.

[Incidentally, churches don't now appear to be shown on online versions
of Ordnance Survey maps. How long has that been the case?]
--
Cheers,
Roger

Ian Goddard

Mar 26, 2017, 1:27:31 PM3/26/17
On 26/03/17 16:55, Roger Mills wrote:

> [Incidentally, churches don't now appear to be shown on online versions
> of Ordnance Survey maps. How long has that been the case?]

Where are you looking online?

www.streetmap.co.uk, search for Holmfirth.

It shows a church with tower (Holmfirth parish church) in the middle of
Holmfirth, another to the west (St Johns, Upperthong), a church without
tower at c 11 o' clock from the parish church (Holmfirth Methodist) and
another further north (Wooldale Methodist). Scrolling up shows 2 more
in Wooldale including the Friends' Meeting house & the parish church in
Netherthong. Scrolling right shows another adjacent to the main road to
New Mill (Lydgate Presbyterian) and New Mill parish church with tower.

All present and correct.

Zooming in they do disappear at the intermediate scale but at the
largest scale they're marked PW.

Roger Mills

Mar 26, 2017, 3:22:02 PM3/26/17
You are absolutely correct - I was getting confused - sorry!

I was looking at the maps on the Walkhighlands site and hadn't noticed
that their 1:50k maps are now provided by OpenStreetMap rather than OS.
Their 1:25k maps are genuine OS, and *do* show churches, as expected.

Ian Goddard

Mar 27, 2017, 4:42:43 AM3/27/17
That's why I always recommend streetmap.co.uk. Ironically they are real
OS maps whilst Google & the rest are just street maps!

Richard Smith

Mar 28, 2017, 10:58:54 AM3/28/17
On 26/03/17 16:55, Roger Mills wrote:

> [Incidentally, churches don't now appear to be shown on online versions
> of Ordnance Survey maps. How long has that been the case?]

Some years ago, the Ordnance Survey took the decision only to mark
churches where they are landmarks. This tends to mean that some smaller
churches in urban areas, especially when they're without a tower or
spire, are now omitted.

Richard

Terry Wells

Mar 28, 2017, 1:06:37 PM3/28/17
On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 09:42:42 +0100, Ian Goddard wrote:

> That's why I always recommend streetmap.co.uk. Ironically they are real
> OS maps whilst Google & the rest are just street maps!

May I recommend https://www.fonant.com/osmap.html

Real OS maps, search on NG or place enlarge as required etc.

--

Terry Wells

Ian Goddard

Mar 28, 2017, 3:41:35 PM3/28/17
Thanks, Terry. Very impressive. However, after a little zooming in and
panning around it told me I'd used 15% of my daily allowance of tiles.
There also didn't seem to be any print mechanism although one could take
screen shots and print from that. Is it simply a sampler for their
services or a prototype for a commercial site?

Terry Wells

Mar 28, 2017, 7:46:26 PM3/28/17
On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 20:41:32 +0100, Ian Goddard wrote:

> From: Ian Goddard <godd...@hotmail.co.uk>
> Newsgroups: england.genealogy.misc,soc.genealogy.britain,alt.genealogy
> Subject: Re: Where is "this" parish?
> Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 20:41:32 +0100
Actually Ian I have no idea! I was introduced to the site on another
group. I have used it quite a lot for reference but have never had a usage
message so was not aware of any daily allowance. I am not sure how much
you did to use up 15% but I suppose the plus side is that you still had 85%
remaining. I will try and find out more and will report back.
--

Terry Wells

Charles Ellson

Apr 2, 2017, 7:57:49 PM4/2/17
Some are now very ordinary buildings looking no different from the
neighbouring premises.

---
http://www.avg.com