Elijan Ellwood of Arcledon, Cumberland

Steve Hayes

Jan 30, 2016, 12:44:49 PM1/30/16
I'm greatly puzzled by Elijah Ellwood, who was born at Arcledon in
Cumberland in 1850, son of Thomas and Ann Ellwood.

In 1869 he married Bridget Boyel in the Cockermouth registration
district, and they had a son James, born in Maryport, who appears on
the 1871 census aged 1 at Ince, in Lancashire.

That seems uncomplicated.

While living in Ince they appear to have had a daughter Ann, born in
1873.

In 1875 it seems that Bridget died, and in 1876 Elijah seems to have
remarried to Ellen Riddle, in Lanchester Registration District in Co
Durham.

This is where things get complicated.

In 1876 Elijah and Ellen had a daughter Annie, two years younger than
Ann. They went on to have a Susannah, born 1877 and an Elijah Junior,
born in 1882.

So we have these children:

Elijah & Bridget
James born 1869
Ann born 1873

Elijah & Ellen
Annie born 1876
Susanna born 1877
Elijah born 1882

But in the 1881 census (at Crook and Billy Row, Co Durham) they seem
to have acquired John, a twin for James, born at Leadgate, Durham
about 1869. They are both aged 12. I can't imagine the mother
travelling from Maryport to Leadgate to give birth to a second twin.

By 1891 James has disappaeared, but John is still there, aged 22, and
has acquired yet another brother, Joseph, aged 23.

I have not been able to find a John Ellwood aged 2 in the 1871 census,
so where was John then, and where did he come from?

I suppose I could order their birth certificates (though there don't
seem to be any likely FreeBMD index entries for Joseph and John), but
I'm not sure whether this family, or any part of it, is actually
related to us (that's what I'm trying to find out).

Any suggestions about where to look next?

Or has anyone, but any chance, researched this family?

--
Steve Hayes
Web: http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com/

Jenny M Benson

Jan 31, 2016, 6:47:10 AM1/31/16
A couple of idea comes to mind. As both Joseph and John were born in
Durham, but only appeared with Elijah on the census after he moved
there, could they have been adopted? Could they be the sons of Ellen
Riddle. (Was she born Ellen Riddle or had she been married before?)

--
Jenny M Benson

Steve Hayes

Feb 1, 2016, 1:35:38 PM2/1/16
Yes, that seemed to be a possibility, but I couldn't find a Joseph &
John Riddle that seemed to fit either.

CWatters

Feb 14, 2016, 12:33:29 PM2/14/16
On 30/01/2016 17:45, Steve Hayes wrote:
Did you find John Ellwood in the 1901? If not...

Long shot but working on the theory that John was a child of Ellen Riddle..

On Ancestry there is a small family tree for a John Riddle born 1869 at
Leadgate, Durham. Parents unknown, he gave a daughter the middle name
Ellen. The data on John appears to start with the 1901 census. I can't
seem to find him earlier to rule him out.

http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/36266838/person/19943903243/facts

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/7814/DURRG13_4700_4702-0019/29909795?backurl=http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/36266838/person/19943903243/facts/citation/67938675019/edit/record

Steve Hayes

Feb 14, 2016, 7:32:44 PM2/14/16
Thanks, I'll have a look to see if the other info fits.

Steve Hayes

Feb 14, 2016, 8:19:44 PM2/14/16
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 17:33:27 +0000, CWatters
<colin....@NOturnersoakSPAM.plus.com> wrote:

>On 30/01/2016 17:45, Steve Hayes wrote:
>> I'm greatly puzzled by Elijah Ellwood, who was born at Arcledon in
>> Cumberland in 1850, son of Thomas and Ann Ellwood.
>> But in the 1881 census (at Crook and Billy Row, Co Durham) they seem
>> to have acquired John, a twin for James, born at Leadgate, Durham
>> about 1869. They are both aged 12. I can't imagine the mother
>> travelling from Maryport to Leadgate to give birth to a second twin.
>Did you find John Ellwood in the 1901? If not...
>
>Long shot but working on the theory that John was a child of Ellen Riddle..
>
>On Ancestry there is a small family tree for a John Riddle born 1869 at
>Leadgate, Durham. Parents unknown, he gave a daughter the middle name
>Ellen. The data on John appears to start with the 1901 census. I can't
>seem to find him earlier to rule him out.
>
>http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/36266838/person/19943903243/facts
>
>http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/7814/DURRG13_4700_4702-0019/29909795?backurl=http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/36266838/person/19943903243/facts/citation/67938675019/edit/record

And there is this, from FreeBMD:

Births Mar 1869 (>99%)
Riddle John Durham 10a 312

and also:

Births Jun 1867 (>99%)
Riddle Edward Durham 10a 306
Riddle Jane Ann Durham 10a 309
Riddle Joseph Durham 10a 325

Which seems to fit with the ages given in the 1891 census.

Steve Hayes

Feb 14, 2016, 8:48:45 PM2/14/16
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 03:21:22 +0200, Steve Hayes
<haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>And there is this, from FreeBMD:
>
>Births Mar 1869 (>99%)
>Riddle John Durham 10a 312
>
>and also:
>
>Births Jun 1867 (>99%)
>Riddle Edward Durham 10a 306
>Riddle Jane Ann Durham 10a 309
>Riddle Joseph Durham 10a 325
>
>Which seems to fit with the ages given in the 1891 census.

And this:

John Riddle
England and Wales Census, 1871
Name John Riddle
Event Type Census
Event Date 1871
Event Place Leadgate, Iveston, Durham, England
Enumeration District 13
Gender Male
Age 4
Marital Status Unmarried
Relationship to Head of Household Son
Birth Year (Estimated) 1867
Birthplace Leadgate, Durham
Entry Number 17
Affiliate Image Identifier GBC/1871/4959/0193

George Riddle Head M 60 Wallsend, Northumberland
Ann Riddle Wife F 56 Shotley, Durham
Elleanor Riddle Daughter F 29 Bywell,
Northumberland
Sussana Riddle Daughter F 22 Bywell, Northumberland
Joshua Riddle Son M 17 Bywell, Northumberland
George Riddle Son M 15 Bywell, Northumberland
William Riddle Son M 13 Bywell, Northumberland
Margaret Riddle Daughter F 6 Bywell,
Northumberland
Joseph Riddle Son M 6 Leadgate, Durham
John Riddle Son M 4 Leadgate, Durham
Robson Riddle Son M 2 Leadgate, Durham
Sarah Hardy Boarder F 30 Kirkhaugh,
Northumberland
Citing this Record

"England and Wales Census, 1871", database with images, FamilySearch
(https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VB8W-4L6 : accessed 15
February 2016), John Riddle in entry for George Riddle, 1871.

Though 54 seems to be rather old to be having a child.