Places: Morton in Shropshire/Salop-

Steve Hayes

Apr 17, 2018, 1:21:59 PM4/17/18
I have some people who were shown as having been born in Morton in
Shropshire in the 1901 and 1911 Censues.

I cannot, however, find any definite information about this place.
There also appeares to be a Moreton. Both come up in a Google search.
Are they the same place or two different places?

--
Steve Hayes
Web: http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com/

john

Apr 17, 2018, 2:31:33 PM4/17/18
On 17/04/2018 19:26, Steve Hayes wrote:
> I have some people who were shown as having been born in Morton in
> Shropshire in the 1901 and 1911 Censues.
>
> I cannot, however, find any definite information about this place.
> There also appeares to be a Moreton. Both come up in a Google search.
> Are they the same place or two different places?

Morton near Oswestry is the current spelling but it has been spelt Moreton.
If you are looking at the census records for Morton, the first pages
should give you more information on the location.

There are also places with Moreton as part of their name in Shropshire.

A quick search gives the following:

https://ukga.org/england/Shropshire/towns/MoretonorMorton.html

http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21547
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales
described Moreton like this:
MORETON, or MORTON, a township in Oswestry parish, and a chapelry partly
also in Llanyblodwell parish, Salop. The township lies on the Montgomery
canal and the Cambrian railway, between Offa's dyke and Watt's dyke,
near Pant r. station, 2 miles from the boundary with Wales, and 3½ S of
Oswestry.

And a search of Genuki for Morton then setting a County filter to
Shropshire gives
http://www.genuki.org.uk/search/site/morton?f[0]=im_field_county_code%3A109

The Shropshire Family History Society gives
http://www.sfhs.org.uk/search/node/morton

http://www.borderparishes.org.uk/morton-location/4571241670

Steve Hayes

Apr 17, 2018, 11:50:55 PM4/17/18
On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 20:30:54 +0200, john
<jo...@s145802280.onlinehome.fr> wrote:

>MORETON, or MORTON, a township in Oswestry parish, and a chapelry partly
>also in Llanyblodwell parish, Salop. The township lies on the Montgomery
>canal and the Cambrian railway, between Offa's dyke and Watt's dyke,
>near Pant r.

Thanks very much. That's the sort of info I was looking for.