Weird LDS parish register "transcription"

Steve Hayes

Nov 21, 2017, 1:44:52 PM11/21/17
I was checking some family history information on FamilySearch and
came across this in one of the research hints:

=== begin quote ===
John George Southern
England Births and Christenings
Name John George Southern
Residence Place Wingate, Durham, England
Gender Male
Christening Date 27 Jan 1869
Christening Date (Original) 27 Jan 1869
Christening Place Wingate, Durham, Eng.
Father's Name Richard Southern
Race White
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
Indexing Project (Batch) Number C00586-5
System Origin England-EASy
GS Film number 1514658
Reference ID 1869 pg.12-96
Citing this Record

"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," database, FamilySearch
(https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NXZB-XHP : 30 December 2014,
John George Southern, ); citing Wingate, Durham, Eng., index based
upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake
City; FHL microfilm 1,514,658.

=== end quote ===

My question is:

Which denomination, operating in Wingate in County Durham in 1869,
recorded the race of people being baptised, but not the name of the
mother?

Or is this not actually a transcription at all, but just some clown
entering stuff that isn't there, and leaving out stuff that is there?

An image of the register was not available when I looked, but I wonder
if anyone who has access to that particular record can confirm that it
mentioned the race, but not the name of the mother.

I accept that transcroptions can be inaccurate, but transcribers
making stuff up is somwething else.

--
Steve Hayes
Web: http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com/

Ian Goddard

Nov 21, 2017, 2:15:29 PM11/21/17
I think what happens is that a transcriber has an input screen which
doesn't clear between entries; they just overtype the names & dates and,
supposedly the parish when they start on a new parish or church. The
reason I think this happens is that I've seen transcriptions where they
appear to have switched from one church to another and end up with a
field like Residence Place displaying contents from another parish -
they've just not noticed that they've run onto a new batch of data.

It looks as if, in this case, they've strayed onto Wingate from some
other place where race would be a field to capture.

--
Hotmail is my spam bin. Real address is ianng
at austonley org uk

Charles Ellson

Nov 21, 2017, 10:06:22 PM11/21/17
That is not a detail that I would be expected to be recorded in a 19th
century English parish register, there is no allocated position for it
in a standard register.

Gordon

Nov 22, 2017, 9:34:06 AM11/22/17
"Steve Hayes" wrote in message
I think that you will find it is a "function" of the LDS database entry
pages. They don't always copy the record exactly either rather they just
take an extract. Their entries are more for their belief purposes rather
than pure genealogical research hence the need to cross check with original
sources. Their database does contain a large amount of mistakes re British
records mainly due to a lack of knowledge of the British system and British
geography.

Gordon

Steve Hayes

Nov 28, 2017, 12:49:41 AM11/28/17
On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 19:15:28 +0000, Ian Goddard
<godd...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>> My question is:
>>
>> Which denomination, operating in Wingate in County Durham in 1869,
>> recorded the race of people being baptised, but not the name of the
>> mother?
>>
>> Or is this not actually a transcription at all, but just some clown
>> entering stuff that isn't there, and leaving out stuff that is there?
>>
>> An image of the register was not available when I looked, but I wonder
>> if anyone who has access to that particular record can confirm that it
>> mentioned the race, but not the name of the mother.
>>
>> I accept that transcroptions can be inaccurate, but transcribers
>> making stuff up is somwething else.
>
>I think what happens is that a transcriber has an input screen which
>doesn't clear between entries; they just overtype the names & dates and,
>supposedly the parish when they start on a new parish or church. The
>reason I think this happens is that I've seen transcriptions where they
>appear to have switched from one church to another and end up with a
>field like Residence Place displaying contents from another parish -
>they've just not noticed that they've run onto a new batch of data.
>
>It looks as if, in this case, they've strayed onto Wingate from some
>other place where race would be a field to capture.

That's quite possible, I suppose.

Another question related to this is that they quite often put in a
"Residence" field, but After looking at a number of them I am quite
sceptical about this, because I don't think it is transcribed from the
"Abode" field of CofE registers, but rather taken from the location of
the parish church itself.

This can be misleading, as people sometimes lived some distance from
the parish church. Where FamilySearch make an image available (which
they sometimes do), I try to check the Abode and Occupation fields,
but this is not always possible.

Steve Hayes

Nov 28, 2017, 12:52:46 AM11/28/17
On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 03:06:25 +0000, Charles Ellson <ce1...@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>>It looks as if, in this case, they've strayed onto Wingate from some
>>other place where race would be a field to capture.
>>
>That is not a detail that I would be expected to be recorded in a 19th
>century English parish register, there is no allocated position for it
>in a standard register.

Indeed. I think Ian's explanation may be correct, but transcribers
need to be more careful that they do not transcribe stuff that is not
there, and leave out still that is there.

Charles Ellson

Nov 29, 2017, 7:09:29 PM11/29/17
The current qualification for local residence in England WRT marriage
is only seven days so that detail has to be taken with a pinch of
salt.
[http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN00644/SN00644.pdf]
Lower mobility in the past might have might that detail resemble the
facts somewhat better but IME it still often has to be interpreted as
e.g. "he/she would be resident here if he/she wasn't permanently(-ish)
employed in <another place>".

Charles Ellson

Nov 29, 2017, 8:08:34 PM11/29/17
On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 00:04:03 +0000, Charles Ellson <ce1...@yahoo.ca>