Chapter 7 Section 5

Jordan Turner

May 2, 2023, 10:39:12 AM5/2/23
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Hello

I would like to start by expressing my appreciation for this textbook as it has served as a reliable extra resource during my studies of statics this semester.

I want to point out an irregularity, or mistake I've found in Chapter 7 Section 5 Example 7.5.3 of Engineering Statics. In the equations at the bottom used for calculating the center of gravity of the object, the equations and the units are incorrect. I have attached a screenshot of the relevant example for reference.

Chapter 7 section 5.png

Thanks for the awesome textbook.

Kind regards
Jordan

Turner, Jamie L

May 2, 2023, 3:00:52 PM5/2/23
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group

Good catch!  For the exams/HW, I've been using CAD software to check answers - for InventorPro it is iproperties, or AutoCAD it is mass properties - it will calculate center of mass, moment of inertias etc.

↑ the x,y,z's are oriented differently but #'s match calculations (had to use uniform density).  CAD software is free for students to download, so I think counts as OER?

May 2, 2023, 5:21:57 PM5/2/23
to 'jcarter@inverhills.edu' via Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Jordan,

Thanks for pointing this out!  I’ve fixed the example and uploaded the the corrections.

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 12.44.32 PM.png