Contemplating additional grant proposal

Dan Baker

Apr 4, 2019, 10:25:28 PM4/4/19
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Colorado State University was awarded an OER institutional grant which they are distributing as sub-awards (up to $4,000 for the development of an OER). I wanted to get input from you all to see if there is anything we foresee needing help with.  The topics I thought of are:
  • substantive editing
  • copy editing
  • graphics/interactive development
Any other ideas of things we could use help with?
Thanks! Dan

Eric Davishahl

Apr 5, 2019, 12:53:57 PM4/5/19
to engineering-st...@googlegroups.com

I would vote for graphics development and would strongly support getting help with this task.  Developing quality graphics is extremely time consuming.  I am sure we have a hodgepodge of relevant and non-copyrighted/CC-licensed graphics between all of our development efforts, but it would be really nice to hire someone to give everything a cohesive look and quality.  Seems like this could be a good job for a student.

Best,

Eric

Eric Davishahl
Engineering Faculty
Engineering Program Coordinator
Whatcom Community College
edavi...@whatcom.edu

360-383-3591

Office: Laidlaw 120

Pronouns: he | his| him

ASEE Pacific Northwest Section Chair

Jacob Moore

Apr 7, 2019, 2:15:50 PM4/7/19
to engineering-st...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dan,

I agree with Eric. I think having some funds to develop some clear and cohesive graphics would be a good idea.

-Jacob
===
Jacob Moore
Assistant Professor of Engineering
Penn State Mont Alto

Baker,Dan

Apr 11, 2019, 12:05:20 PM4/11/19
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Thanks for your all of your input on this. I'm working on a another small ($1-$4k) grant to help cover some graphics work and am also checking with our graphics design group here at CSU to get some feedback on undergrads vs grads and hourly rates.

Also ERIN, you had mentioned you might be able to access some work study help (if I recall correctly), is that still the case?

Dan

Daniel W Baker PhD PE, Professor of Practice
  Office:  ENGR B206                      Phone: 970-491-0261
  Email:  dan....@colostate.edu  Twitter: @drdanteaches
  Youtube: DrDanTeaches