March 12 Scrum Meeting

Dan Baker

Mar 12, 2019, 3:35:45 PM3/12/19
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
I personally do my most productive work with when I'm able to set goals and follow up on them. I would like to implement a version of this for our Engineering Statics team as every-other-week 'scrum' meetings using our Google Group. This will be the first. All you have to do is simply answer the following three questions:
  1. What have you completed since the last meeting?
  2. What do you plan to complete by the next meeting?
  3. What is getting in your way?
We will also hold scheduled meetings as needed, but I'd like to try this to help motivate our team and not spend too much time in slow death by meetings. You can either post your reply by visiting the Google Groups link in this email OR by simply 'Reply-All' to this email.  I'll lead off by posting the first reply.
Dan

Baker,Dan

Mar 12, 2019, 4:45:39 PM3/12/19
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Pardon the duplicate email. I'm working on the Google Group settings as my previous reply all did not post to the Google Group page.....
  1. Completed
    1. I filled out our team skills form  https://goo.gl/forms/EcRpC1xlZE9Nfbir2
    2. I purchased engineeringstatics.org, while engineeringstatics.com for sale (apparently) for ~$1500
    3. I refined more of my GeoGebra interactives to conform to https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x49mpWfWw05mKTnWDL5ivbNoENxYf_F3ItRu4_HGLXY/edit#
  2. Plan to complete
    1. I plan to install Git
    2. I plan to start the Git-Hub account for the project
    3. I plan to create some Geogebra and SVG figures to solicit team feedback
  3. In my way
    1. devoting too much time to developing new content for Dynamics
    2. Needed some goal setting :)

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 1:41 PM Dan Baker <dan....@colostate.edu> wrote:
  1. Completed
    1. I filled out our team skills form  https://goo.gl/forms/EcRpC1xlZE9Nfbir2
    2. I purchased engineeringstatics.org, while engineeringstatics.com for sale (apparently) for ~$1500
    3. I refined more of my GeoGebra interactives to conform to https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x49mpWfWw05mKTnWDL5ivbNoENxYf_F3ItRu4_HGLXY/edit#
  2. Plan to complete
    1. I plan to install Git
    2. I plan to start the Git-Hub account for the project
    3. I plan to create some Geogebra and SVG figures to solicit team feedback
  3. In my way
    1. devoting too much time to developing new content for Dynamics
    2. Needed some goal setting :)

William Haynes

Mar 13, 2019, 9:20:32 AM3/13/19
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Good idea Dan.   Here's my list

  1. Completed
    1. Nothing concrete.  I've been trying to work out how to incorporate Numbas problems into the PDF output of PreText, which is not going to be simple, unfortunately.
    2. Went to a workshop on OER sponsored by Massachusetts Board of Higher Ed.  It was mostly cheerleading for OER, unfortunately nothing concrete about technology for developing OER  books or managing projects.
  2. Plan to complete
    1. Commit a project skeleton to GitHub now that the account is established.
    2. Help people get set up to edit and compile the book on their local computers.
  3. In my way
    1. We just started our spring semester last week so must devote time to my actual job

REMINDER to all:

  1. If you haven't  already done it please complete the skills survey.   The results are here.

Henslee, Erin

Mar 13, 2019, 10:20:21 AM3/13/19
to engineering-st...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
  1. Completed
    1. Talked to my univeristy about OER resources. They are excited about the project but unfortnuately don't have anything conrete to help support it.
    2. Talked to my department head and she is happy to have our students participate if we wanted user groups, or some student developed content. I am developing a public engagement course, for example, that this could be one of the student projects for.
    3. Skills survey
    4. Get caught up from last meeting I missed
  2. Plan to complete
    1. Learn more about Geogebra and Git-hub
  3. In my way
    1. Grant applications were due last week.
    2. Faculty hiring (12, 2-day on-site visits) is taking a lot of time
    3. Architectural plans for our next phase of build out are due end of March so any free time is going towards design and space allocation
    4. Books I am working on, chapters due by April!
As a side note, we use Scrum here at Wake Forest too, so all for it!

Erin

Erin A. Henslee, PhD
Founding Faculty and Assistant Professor
Wake Forest University
Department of Engineering
455 Vine Street
Bldg 60 South
hens...@wfu.edu
Twitter:@e_henslee

Eric Davishahl

Mar 13, 2019, 1:28:30 PM3/13/19
to engineering-st...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the check-in opportunity Dan. Here is my list:

1. Completed

* Skills form
* Organized figures and did some standardization
* Developed a few more figures
* Developed a few more algorithmic HW problems on IMasthAS (www.wamap.org) that can be translated to any platform we decide to use

2. Plan to complete

* Get up to speed on Git
* Share figures organized by content with group

3. In my way

* Planning for ASEE-PNW Section Confernce next week
* Completing tenure process (second, at new college) - today!
* Many other competing priorities, but bottom line is getting tenure portfolio and PNW conference out of the way should open more time to devote to OER Statics

Best,
Eric

Eric Davishahl
Engineering Faculty
Engineering Program Coordinator
ASEE Pacific Northwest Section Chair
Whatcom Community College
360-383-3591
Office: Laidlaw 120
Pronouns he | his | him
________________________________

* I purchased engineeringstatics.org<http://engineeringstatics.org/>, while engineeringstatics.com<http://engineeringstatics.com/> for sale (apparently) for ~$1500
* I refined more of my GeoGebra interactives to conform to https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x49mpWfWw05mKTnWDL5ivbNoENxYf_F3ItRu4_HGLXY/edit#
2. Plan to complete
* I plan to install Git
* I plan to start the Git-Hub account for the project
* I plan to create some Geogebra and SVG figures to solicit team feedback
3. In my way
* devoting too much time to developing new content for Dynamics
* Needed some goal setting :)

1. Completed

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 1:35 PM Dan Baker <dan....@colostate.edu<mailto:dan....@colostate.edu>> wrote:
I personally do my most productive work with when I'm able to set goals and follow up on them. I would like to implement a version of this for our Engineering Statics team as every-other-week 'scrum' meetings using our Google Group. This will be the first. All you have to do is simply answer the following three questions:

1. What have you completed since the last meeting?
2. What do you plan to complete by the next meeting?
3. What is getting in your way?

We will also hold scheduled meetings as needed, but I'd like to try this to help motivate our team and not spend too much time in slow death by meetings. You can either post your reply by visiting the Google Groups link in this email OR by simply 'Reply-All' to this email. I'll lead off by posting the first reply.
Dan

Dan Baker

Mar 13, 2019, 5:41:00 PM3/13/19
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
(re-posting of Scott's scrum reply and also some clarification on questions he had that I thought would benefit the group)

Hi Dan,

I like the scrum meeting agenda--I might start using it in a couple of my classes!

1. Completed since last meeting.

Not a lot.  I have spoken with Statics instructors at CMU to make sure there is buy-in on our campus (there is).  Everyone in the program is willing to adopt OER material and help with evaluation/assessment of content we develop.

2. Complete before next meeting.

See #3.

3. Getting in the way.

I have the same day-to-day obligations as other team members and this project naturally ends up near the bottom of my to-do list.  More than that, though, is that I don't feel like I have a handle on the big picture for this project (and this might just be me missing our first meeting).  Are we looking to develop all of the content for a self-contained Statics textbook or are we focusing more on interactive elements like geogebra? What is the team plan for content development?  Is it top down with key team members developing content that is then reviewed by others or a shared approach where content development in different areas is assigned to individual team members?  Do we have a project timeline or a sense for what portion of the project is supposed to be completed by a certain date?  What are the specific deliverables and when are we hoping to have them by? (Dan's responses below)

Having an answer to some of these questions would help me set some achievable short-term goals rather than having a nebulous project that gets pushed to the back burner.

Cheers,
Scott

========================
  1. Are we looking to develop all of the content for a self-contained Statics textbook or are we focusing more on interactive elements like geogebra?
    1. Both. We are starting with the content of Jacob Moore's Adaptive Map Statics website and using/developing Geogebra interactives to anchor conceptual understanding for each topic. I see this being a lean book of applied learning.
  2. What is the team plan for content development?  Is it top down with key team members developing content that is then reviewed by others or a shared approach where content development in different areas is assigned to individual team members?
    1. I see a shared approach being appropriate with various team members taking on more/less responsibility as they are able
  3. Do we have a project timeline or a sense for what portion of the project is supposed to be completed by a certain date? What are the specific deliverables and when are we hoping to have them by?
    1. The end goal is to have a usable book for the Fall of 2020. This spring 2019 is devoted to getting the details set for technology, collaboration, delivery, etc. Summer 2019-Fall 2019 largely assembly/writing of content. Spring 2020-Summer 2020 reviewing/editing/wrapping up loose ends.

James Lord

Mar 20, 2019, 2:32:56 PM3/20/19
to engineering-st...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Sorry for the extremely delayed response. I was travelling all last week and am just now getting caught up with emails. I also don't have much to share, so I got to this one a little slower.

Completed:
All I've really completed since the last meeting is filling out the skills survey and talking to a couple of folks on campus about the project. There is definitely some interest from some instructors, the library, and at least one associate dean, which is encouraging but nothing concrete has come out of it yet. I've also poked around some with Git.

Plan to complete:
I have a lot of learning to do with Git and PreText, which is my immediate task. I suppose I should also start producing content at some point, though I'm not entirely sure right now what I should be producing and what already exists in some form.

Getting in the way:
Besides the obvious day to day tasks, our ABET visit is coming up in Fall. I'm writing the self-study which is due in a couple of months. Besides the writing, it involves a ton of data collection from the faculty that needs analyzing and reporting back on. Getting faculty to coordinate on something in a timely manner has been rather like herding cats. I'm also doing some coding work for a publisher that's due in about a month. It's tedious but fairly straightforward and I suppose I'm putting time into the "easy" work where I see immediate progress rather than the somewhat laborious effort of learning new skills (Git, PreText etc). That, combined with not having a clear idea of what I should be producing (if anything at this stage) means this project is hovering near the bottom of my to-do list. I'll have a lot more time in a couple of months, but I would like to contribute more now too. I maybe just need someone to tell me what I can do that's most productive. If it's just learning skills so that I can hit the ground running later then I can make a conscious effort to prioritize that.

Sorry for the somewhat rambling email. Despite my lack of progress, I'm still very excited about the project. Dan, just let me know how I can be most helpful.

Best,
James
---
Dr. James Lord