April 4th Scrum Meeting

Dan Baker

Apr 4, 2019, 2:25:21 PM4/4/19
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Scrum time! I'll also post another message Doodle to see when we can do another meeting.
  1. What have you completed since the last meeting?
    1. I installed and generally go to know Git
    2. I started the Git-Hub account for the project https://github.com/dantheboatman/EngineeringStatics
      1. to date only Will and Andy have sent me their usernames to be invited to collaborate, please sign up for Git and send me your username
    3. I created some tables looking at GeoGebra formatting to solicit team feedback
      1. Please see https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x49mpWfWw05mKTnWDL5ivbNoENxYf_F3ItRu4_HGLXY/edit#heading=h.rozwhtsj65a4 to provide input
    4. I created a Twitter account for our book @EngrStatics :)
  2. What do you plan to complete by the next meeting?
    1. clone the material the Will posted to Git
    2. Gather a subcommittee on graphics/interactives to make semi-final decisions (Will, Andy, others?)
      1. so that as we're creating/editing content we will minimize future work
    3. Share my plan for keeping us moving toward our designated timeline
  3. What is getting in your way?
    1. Still working on prioritizing time for this project

Jacob Moore

Apr 5, 2019, 9:49:52 AM4/5/19
to engineering-st...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dan,

1. What have I completed.
- I have really just filled out the skills survey at this point.
-You can add me (username: JacobMoore) to Gitub and I will get a copy of the repo

2. What do I plan on doing by the next meeting
-Clone the repo to my machine

3. What is getting in your way:
-Just lack of time at this point. Once May comes around I should have a lot more free time to devote to this project and my own open dynamics textbook. I'll start by going through the Pretext training materials.

-Jacob

===
Jacob Moore
Assistant Professor of Engineering
Penn State Mont Alto

Eric Davishahl

Apr 5, 2019, 12:32:15 PM4/5/19
to engineering-st...@googlegroups.com

1.       Nothing.

2.       Don’t expect much.

3.       Getting in my way is the fact that I had an adjunct bail on me a couple weeks ago and wound up having to teach another class myself – pushing me to 160% of contract load for this spring quarter.  So I am swamped through June.  I will do my best to stay in the loop.

Eric

Eric Davishahl
Engineering Faculty
Engineering Program Coordinator
Whatcom Community College
edavi...@whatcom.edu

360-383-3591

Office: Laidlaw 120

Pronouns: he | his| him

ASEE Pacific Northwest Section Chair

Bevill, Scott

Apr 8, 2019, 2:43:38 PM4/8/19
to engineering-st...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan!
  1. Completed since last meeting
    1. Download and install Git, starting to become familiar
  2. Plan to complete
    1. Join Git project (my username is sbevillCMU)
    2. Start playing around with material posted on Git project
  3. Getting in my way
    1. ​Overloaded teaching schedule, research, advising, meetings, committees & service....the usual​

Apr 8, 2019, 2:55:55 PM4/8/19
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Hi Dan,

Completed:
Not much, I'm afraid

To do:
Still need to spend some time with Git and PreText

Getting in the way:
Just finding time, really. This semester is kicking my ass...

Andrew C. Guyader

Apr 16, 2019, 5:19:07 PM4/16/19
to engineering-st...@googlegroups.com

Hello All - I am Andy Guyader out west at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.  Been a bit of an observer to the group and proceedings since February.  A few existing projects including distance group work in the area of predictive modeling for football (www.theq5.com) with some talented business students and also general professional issues have been holding me back since February.  It is very excited to be able to get further into this engineering project.

A quick background on me - I have a unique one bringing me to this point.  After graduate school I ended up coming back to Cal Poly where I had done my undergraduate in structural engineering but I came back in a capacity to both teach courses and ..… coach football.  Managed to parlay the football stuff into 10 years of coaching several position groups on the offense side of the ball. Coached a guy drafted 85th in the 2009 draft and also the guy who starts at left tackle for the Steelers (he played WR for me at Army). Ended up out at West Point for 5 years as well.  After that ended, we moved back to San Luis Obispo and I was able to jump back into the classroom and have been teaching mechanics of materials courses in class sizes anywhere from 30 to 300.  The experience has shaped my view of the fundamental building blocks of stress analysis in relation to how students often attempt to acquire and integrate this content. You can think of me as one who encourages students to run to fundamentals when trying to solve a problem instead of trying to follow a solution someone else created for a similar problem or recall some “trick” that was done on some problem by someone in the past. To me, these fundamental building blocks of statics and dynamics are an incredible opportunity to teach problem solving, critical thought and habits of work and mind.  The mechanics II course I often teach collects a wide range of students, many of who have struggled to make it thru statics and mechanics I. A staggering number of the mechanics II students won’t make it thru the upcoming course because their level of functional competency in statics and mechanics I is woefully deficient. That is one of the reasons this project is very exciting for me to participate in and hopefully benefit the students attempting to learn, extend and refine these critical fundamental building blocks throughout their young engineering development.

Over the past few years, I have taken a stab at using a consistent color hierarchy to represent some of the core components of the content - unknown external support forces, internal forces and unknown external applied loads.  In the stress equations identifying variables differently than constants as relating to the stress distributions.  We came up with a proof of concept to create a supplement for students who are taking mechanics - this is not meant to be an introductory document but one that “assists” students who are taking or have already taken statics and mechanics.   I share this with you as a way to expose you to the color concept and what it looks and feels like. Generally speaking, the colors have received very favorable feedback and cut down on the amount of written text that must accompany solution explanations.  The content is formed and organized with the idea that it would never be printed on paper - essentially only used on a digital device.  The problem-based presentation allows for navigation back to the fundamental information related to the concepts. I mention that just to alert you to what you will experience in the document Lin below - a very non-traditional presentation of material - just an experiment.   Here is the poster we made for an ASEE conference last year.

Here is the link on dealing with determinate structures and internal forces:  https://xd.adobe.com/view/3216c378-8d16-4a88-a342-ab9591972dd5/.

The color concept spans nicely from statics to mechanics and is ultimately to be sued like some “training wheels” mainly in the beginning stages of the learning process. In conjunction with this project and also from some on campus efforts, I have been working on creating on-line course content. I have extensive experience with screen-casting.

    1. What have you completed since the last meeting?
      1. Acquired Git, GitHub Desktop, SmartGit, Atom, OxygenXML and PreText and a plethora of manuals relating to each. I am still in needs of making these pieces fit together properly.  I regularly use Latex and I have experience in html coding so I feel extremely confident in getting all the way up to speed quickly. I also have a lot of experience at the command line (albeit from a while ago). I categorize myself as definitely “good enough to be dangerous” in terms of how we are planning to create and proceed. I am a Mac user. IF THERE IS SOMEONE ELSE IN THE GROUP IN A SIMILAR SITUATION OR PERHAPS IS ALREADY UP TO SPEED - I WOULD BE GRATEFUL TO SHARE A SCREEN AND GET ALL THESE COMPONENTS LINED UP.  Either way, I see my self conquering this hurdle by the end of the weekend.
    2. I listened to the zoom meeting audio/video from January. I am also familiar with the past scrum notes people have posted.
    3. I have the skills survey complete and I have a GitHub account.
    4. I gave some feedback on the outline/brainstorm on WorkFlowy.
    5. I have a GeoGebra account and I poked around with the interactives.

      1. What do you plan to complete by the next meeting?
        1.   Fully functional with the mechanics of our process and content creation.
      2. I would like to work with the subcommittee on graphics/interactives and hopefully make some progress in that regard soon.
        1. What is getting in your way?
          1. At this point only the learning curve for Git and GeoGebra.
        If I could do it, would be great to make it down to Irvine to meet Joel.  Also the name Brian Self came up in the kickoff meeting.  Good guy here at SLO and he lives just a few doors down from me in town. I’ve taught dynamics in the same group with him before.

        Hopefully these next two months bring us strong progress on this project to set us up for the summer and fall.

        -Andy

        Andrew C. Guyader, PhD
        Civil and Environmental Engineering

        posterR3.pdf