Chapter 8

William Haynes

Jul 6, 2020, 8:06:07 PM7/6/20
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Hi Dan and all,

I 'finished' converting the internal loads chapter 8 to GitHub and it is live now, at https://dantheboatman.github.io/EngineeringStatics/Chapter_08.html

This will be Chapter 8 in the finished book, but right now, for convenience, it says its chapter four.

I did a lot of copy-editing, error corrections, some reorganization, shortening of titles and captions and general cleanup.   I moved and consolidated all the learning objectives to the beginning, and I added some new illustrations, one of my handouts about the procedure for the graphical method and another ggb applet.   There is still plenty more that could be added improved, but so-far, so-good.

The material sort of peters out towards the end so there’s some more work needed there.

If you see errors, the best thing to do right now is probably to just send me a screenshot, or copy the existing paragraph and send me your revision.

Will

Dan Baker

Jul 7, 2020, 4:43:43 PM7/7/20
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Hi Will,
Thanks again for all your effort in getting these coded into PreText. For edits, I'll get PreTeXt up and running soon and will figure out the process to check out the GitHub files. I think preserving your time to get the chapters converted would be more efficient than dealing with paragraph-by-paragraph edits.

My only additional comments are:
  • I'd like to keep the learning objectives with each section. I've also been working on some of the other chapters to change the 'learning objectives' to 'key questions' which would make great fodder for student self-reflection and discussions. You are welcome to flip the objectives into questions or I can comb through later.
  • I think it would also be valuable to have the top-level sections (listed under each chapter) to be the kind of things you'd assign to students on a daily basis. Hence, putting all three V&M diagram techniques in a single section is too much, but having an Introduction (including the 'internal loads' and 'sign conventions' topics) and then each of the 4 techniques in its own section would be preferable.
Best, Dan

Daniel W Baker Ph.D. PE, Teaching Assistant Professor
  Office:  ENGR B206                      Phone: 970-491-0261
  Email:  dan....@colostate.edu
Twitter: @drdanteaches
  YouTube: DrDanTeaches