Experience with transition to using open book

Hamid M

Jan 11, 2023, 2:16:45 PM1/11/23
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Hello,

Firstly, thanks for all this awesome work!  I'll be teaching statics this spring and stumbled upon the Engineering Statics book/page.  I'm still thinking about how to use this.

My institution has historically used the Beer, Johnston, and Mazurek book, steadily incrementing editions as they become available.  It was my intention to allow students to use new and old editions of the book.  The main challenge being assigning homework problems and solutions without referencing a single edition. Learning about this open book has me rethinking our options.

This background to ask - can anyone share the experience of transitioning from a standard publisher text to this open book for teaching statics?  What worked well, and what was bumpy? How was it received by students?

Thanks in advance.
- Hamid

Baker,Dan

Jan 11, 2023, 3:31:05 PM1/11/23
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Hamid, Thanks for reaching out! I'm happy to hear that you found https://engineeringstatics.org and will likely use it.

I've long assigned homework as a PDF instead of problem numbers to give the students a mix of textbook problems and my problems. When I announce that the textbook is free and available to everyone, I sometimes get applause. Of course, this is before they try the book. I also survey my students at the end of the semester to see what they thought about the book, and the data seems to be quite positive (see chart below)

Forms response chart. Question title: For the PRIMARY textbook you selected above, please provide feedback on the topics below.. Number of responses: .
That being said, in this information age, a textbook is just one of many sources of information for students. And students also report learning more from lectures and assignments than the book itself.

Thoughts from others?
Best, Dan

Jan 11, 2023, 3:43:28 PM1/11/23
to engineering-st...@googlegroups.com

I don’t currently use Dan’s book as I’m not teaching Statics and he hasn’t written a Dynamics book yet….. But I do something similar to Dan. I assign problems via pages on Canvas and the problems are pulled from a variety of places (several textbooks, etc.). We do use a regular textbook (e-book via institutional resources, students don’t pay directly), but the students barely look at it except when they are in need of a reference for something they need help understanding.

Devin

jca...@inverhills.edu

Jan 11, 2023, 4:06:52 PM1/11/23
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Dan - Can you say more about assigning homework as a pdf? I assume you have written out the homework problems in a pdf. Do they handwrite solutions and turn these in? I was thinking I could use the Numbas exercises and have students write out their answers and submit those (or maybe a selection). We use D2L and I started the process with my institution but it is all new and may never happen ("New Instructor" post). Thinking about alternatives.

Hamid - I am in the process of switching from Beer et al to this text. The same material is covered - in a slightly different order. So far I am really pleased with this new text.
Best-
Joan

Baker,Dan

Jan 11, 2023, 4:22:19 PM1/11/23
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Hi Joan,
I assign and post two homework assignments a week in the format attached. They are required to handwrite their work on either printed PDF sheets OR many of the students are now using digital tablets. The starting file of each HW is the solution Word document. I then turn them into assignment and solution PDFs. The upload and assignments into Gradescope and my graders quickly check them for completion and effort.

Tangential to your question, the self-reflection page is the way I make them reflect on their work instead of just shooting to finish the problems. Completion and effort on the self-reflection and problems are worth 50/50 of each HW grade.

Dan

_______________

Jan 11, 2023, 4:34:31 PM1/11/23
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Dan - I really like this (and your watermark stamp too).
Thanks!
Joan

Hamid M

Jan 11, 2023, 10:35:35 PM1/11/23
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Dan - thanks for sharing the student survey.  That's pretty good!  The reminder on typical book usage is also helpful - especially since I'm a few years removed from last teaching.  The PDF homework sheets is what I'm planning as well.  The "self-reflection" page was interesting.  Good idea and thanks for sharing the example!

Devin - there is a similar e-book arrangement at our place as well.  Though, I guess the cost is more explicit.  The default is for students to be charged and access granted for a limited period (5 years?).  Students can take steps to opt-out.

Joan - thanks for sharing your experience with the transition.  I was late in seeing the Numbas exercises but would love to hear how it goes.  Are you teaching the course this Spring?  As mentioned above, I'm in the process of prepping PDF assignments.

- Hamid

Turner, Jamie L

Jan 12, 2023, 10:00:23 AM1/12/23
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Thank you so much again everyone for the free statics book!  What I have done:
Take examples from book, such as:

Modify them, and create my own programmed questions in D2L

They turn in written work showing how they solve it, but I only give feedback for any problems they get wrong on the quiz.  I'm not sure what platforms everyone is using?  In D2L it is called an "arithmetic" question, blackboard has something similar - link - that fills in random numbers.
A Calculated Formula question contains a formula with variables that change for each user. Example If a small glass contains 8 ounces of water, and a large glass contains 12 ounces of water, what is the total number of ounces in 4 large and 3 small glasses of water? Creating the Question The variable range is created by specifying a minimum ...
↑ students cannot copy one another, cannot use Chegg etc. as everyone has different scenario/numbers.  After changing to programmed questions I have only had to bust 1 student for cheating.  I set quizzes to unlimited tries - it might take them 50 times before they get it right - but it is another sign that they cannot get answers online.  (If they get through a HW in 10 minutes, it means they copied it from online.  If it takes them 50 tries and 3 or 4 hours to get through, it means they are doing the problems themselves haha).  I create my answer key in Mathematica so I can fill in their numbers if needed.

If anyone wants to zoom/WebEx, compare class setups, share material, that would be great!  My schedule this semester:

Thank you thank you again for creating the free book!!
Jamie

Engineering, LSC-KW
Math, Engineering, Education, Physics & Student Success
http://www.lonestar.edu/engineering-dept-kingwood.htm
txt
303-842-4554Office: CLB 100L, KG5RIH

Jan 12, 2023, 12:08:05 PM1/12/23
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group, William Haynes
Jamie,
Wow! Thanks for replying, and it's great to see how you've built additional content based on the book.

Please contact Will and me (dan....@colostate.edu and wha...@maritime.edu if you find any errors or have direct feedback. When providing feedback or requested edits, please provide a link to each paragraph/image/example by copying the permalink. To get the permalink, hover your mouse over just left of the content and click to copy the link.

Happy New Year!
Dan

Daniel W Baker Ph.D. PE, Teaching Associate Professor
  Office:  ENGR B206                       Phone: 970-491-0261
  Email:  dan....@colostate.edu
Twitter: @drdanteaches

  YouTube: DrDanTeaches                Pronouns: he, him

  Working to be kind & supportive ally to all!

Jan 12, 2023, 1:30:32 PM1/12/23
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
So far everything has been great!  I actually like your explanation of sign conventions (link) better than McGraw's.  It might be nice to start a collection of instructor resources - if you have a ppt or folder with just all of the images used in the book that would help everyone else create notes / problems etc.  I've just been using snipping tool and photo editing software to change it up - would be faster if I had original images.  If there is an instructor sharepoint/teams? we could all start uploading our ppt's / HW etc?

Thank you again!
Jamie

Jan 12, 2023, 7:49:24 PM1/12/23
to engineering-st...@googlegroups.com
I just watched a few videos and downloaded Affinity, looks like a great platform!  I know AutoCAD/InventorPro, but have never used any vector graphics editors - looks like it will be better than ppt drawing tools haha.  If I make anything new, I will try to match your style to keep it uniform. Thanks for sharing resources!

Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2023 1:10 PM
To: engineering-st...@googlegroups.com <engineering-st...@googlegroups.com>

Neil Petroff

Aug 26, 2023, 9:48:38 PM8/26/23
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Hi all,

I'm late to this conversation, but I just wanted to add in my appreciation for this open source textbook.  It will be my second, only because I just started regularly teaching statics, semester using it.  Probably my favorite item about this book are the interactive practice problems.  To the OP, I think we owe it to our students to put some of ourselves in our teaching.  I've seen too many teachers just regurgitate the publisher's content - presentation slides, homework problems, and solutions.  I think we have a bigger job than that and it is rewarding to spend time pondering on how to make it better.  I have found no problem transitioning.  You do have to do more work, but between the cost savings to students, interacting with people who develop this content, and being able to avoid solution manuals to some extent, it is worth it!

I've been teaching for nearly 10 years now and I have mainly looked for open educational resources (OERs) (we also refer to it as affordable course material at my institution).  As someone already said, there's just so much other material available, and in different formats, that a textbook is only a small part of the course, and I see little reason to invest the money.  In addition, we are an engineering technology (ET) program so traditional engineering textbooks ignore important content on the application of technology.  Plus, so few ET textbooks exist.  To counter that, I have been adding my own content on sensors for measuring force and torque and their applications.  I work extensively with my Kinesiology friends to get students exposure to force plates, load cells, etc.  From that, I hope the students understand there is a whole world outside of traditional engineering industry sectors where their technology skills are applicable.  Our department has an advantage in that our courses such as statics are in a class + lab format.

Like many endeavors, OER material could stand some consolidation.  I have used material from other sources that I see has now been integrated into this book.  For what little it might be worth, I have published a statics "primer", on researchgate, and I would be humbled and honored if the authors wanted to consider any part of it and further content development on force and torque sensing and their applications for inclusion this book.

This is my first time posting to this group, but I just wanted to again express my thanks to all the people who make this kind of material available and I am so impressed by what y'all have shared just in this post in the way of homework development.

Best wishes for a great academic year,

Neil

Baker,Dan

Aug 27, 2023, 9:13:28 AM8/27/23
to Engineering Statics (OER) Group
Neil,
So great to hear from you and we are excited to hear that you and your students are making good use of the book. I looked through your primer and appreciate your pragmatic approach. We have worked to have a similar straightforward voice in our book, with more success in some areas than others 🙂.
Best, Dan