Critical Vs Creative Thinking

Dilip Barad

Dec 7, 2014, 8:17:01 PM12/7/14
to English Department Google Group

What teachers need to know about critical vs creative thinking?

(Source: http://www.educatorstechnology.com/2014/12/what-teachers-need-to-know-about.html)

When it comes to differentiating critical thinking from creative thinking, things get a little bit blurry as there is no consensus as to what really defines these processes. This lack of consensus is particularly reflected in the various meanings creative thinking takes in different disciplines.For instance, in business and corporate world, creative thinking is synonymous with entrepreneurship, in mathematics it stands for problem solving, and in education it carries connotations of innovation.

While there is no agreed upon definition for these two types of thinking, a comprehensive body of literature confirms the fact that creative and critical thinking are not identical. They involve, more or less, different cognitive processes and have different strategies (see this page for references). Here is how Beyer (1987) compares the two processes:

"Creative thinking is divergent, critical thinking is convergent; whereas creative thinking tries to create something new, critical thinking seeks to assess worth or validity in something that exists; whereas creative thinking is carried on by violating accepted principles, critical thinking is carried on by applying accepted principles. Although creative and critical thinking may very well be different sides of the same coin they are not identical p.35)."

Also, check out this table to learn about some of the differences between creative and critical thinking. The table is created by Macquarie University (Australia) based on Fisher's (2002) paper 'creative Minds: Building Communities of Learning in The Creative Age age".

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9yUyI8I-Abw/VISz_Wx8a2I/AAAAAAAArOc/a4dgDuVZ9mw/s1600/1.png

As for
 Umich.edu, both creative and critical thinkers use different thinking strategies:

Creative Thinkers

·         Consider rejecting standardized formats for problem solving.

·         Have an interest in a wide range of related and divergent fields.

·         Take multiple perspectives on a problem.

·         Use trial-and-error methods in their experimentation.

·         Have a future orientation.

·         Have self-confidence and trust in their own judgment.

Creative Thinkers:

·         Consider rejecting standardized formats for problem solving.

·         Have an interest in a wide range of related and divergent fields.

·         Take multiple perspectives on a problem.

·         Use trial-and-error methods in their experimentation.

·         Have a future orientation.

·         Have self-confidence and trust in their own judgment.

You can also check
this page to learn more about the differences between critical thinking and creative thinking.

Here is a good illustrative visual on creative and critical thinking from
Brain tree.

critical thinking vs creative thinking

image005.png
image006.jpg

Vanita Baldaniya

Dec 13, 2014, 7:50:04 AM12/13/14
to eng_d...@googlegroups.com

      Thank you sir for share the good think with us. Generally we know that creativity is when the person was go to and other thing use the other person outside this activities is creativity.
    And the critical is any  thing and comment on the critical analysis by the explain the topic and other thing it is critical thinking.
So different between to thanking.

  Creative thinking.                   Critical thinking.

1) openness to novelty. -   1)Evaluation &
                                                       Assessments.
2) Idea generation.  -          2) categorization and
                                                     Classification.
3) Curiosity.              -           3)   Reasoning through logic.
4) Invention.             -            4)   Identification.
5) imagination.         -           5) interpretation.
6)Reasoning by                     6) Analysis.
   Metaphor & analogy-
7) Divergent thinking. -       7)Description
8) playfulness.              -       8). -

   So the above all the different thinking in the critical vs creative thinking. and the some think in creative and critical thinking is under the:

       1) Elaboration .
        2) Synthesis,Integration and combination.
        3) Complexity.
        4) Abstraction.
         5) Awareness of Environment.
  So this five think is some one in the creative thinking and critical thinking.

     Thank you sir....,

--

---

Sonal Baraiya

Dec 20, 2014, 4:19:36 AM12/20/14
to eng_d...@googlegroups.com

It is about the difference between creative thinking is divergent and critical thinking is convergent. Both of them have equal importance. Creative thinking comes with the openness to novelty and critical thinking comes with the evaluation and assessment. Both of them have reasons but creative thinking giving reasoning by metaphor and analogy while critical thinking giving reasoning through logic. In creative thinking, poet and writer imagine and that is interpretation by critical thinkers. Therefore, we can say that though creative thinking and critical thinking have lots of difference between both of them they have same importance.

                                                           Thank you.

drashti mehta

Dec 22, 2014, 11:58:23 AM12/22/14
to eng_d...@googlegroups.com

Respected Sir,

Thank you for sharing this information regarding Creative thinking and Critical thinking. Creative thinking is synonymous with entrepreneurship, problem solving, and connotations of innovation. Here one table is also given about “How Creative Thinkers think”. And Beyer also compares two processes, which clears the basic difference of these both thinking process. Here 3 posters are shared; all are also about same topic.

1)       one chart is about Creative thinking goes with: openness to novelty, idea generation curiosity, invention, imagination, playfulness, reasoning and Divergent thinking. Then Critical thinking goes with: Evaluation and assessment, Categorization and classification, reasoning through language, identification, interpretation, analysis and description. Both Critical and creative thinking comes with: Awareness of environment, abstraction and simplification, complexity, synthesis, integration and combination and elaboration.

2)      Another chart is about Critical thinking can be divided into 5 parts: 1)Discover+Explore, 2) Negotiate+cooperate,3)Test+revise,4)Integrate+apply,5)Inform+describe.

3)      Next is about diferenses like Critical thinking having points like: Answer, Yes But, Objective etc…on the other side Creative thinking having: An Answer, Yes And, Subjective etc.

It will be quite good experience to apply both kind of thinking while dealing with any text.

Thank you

Shital Italia

Dec 27, 2014, 8:00:55 AM12/27/14
to eng_d...@googlegroups.com

Respected sir,

         Here are my views about the creative thinking and the critical thinking. First of all it is very opposite idea which represented opposite thing. The creative thinking mention only idea about critic and it shows what are the mistake that done by the writer or the poet. However it is the one kind of information or giving instruction to reader.

Critical thinking does not present the writer’s imagination or any kinds of aesthetic delight but it is only finding mistake. Critical thinking is that to think clearly and rationally.it understands of logical ideas in the creative writing.

 While the creative thinking mention those entire thing like imagination world and Nature, representation of society and real picture of human nature, current and social issues of society. It is the idea that create new world and some way valuable.

Ranjan Velari

Jan 15, 2015, 4:08:30 AM1/15/15
to eng_d...@googlegroups.com
Respected Sir,
   Thank you for sharing this information with us. Here in this chart we compare easily critical thinking v/s creating thinking. Creative thinkers think about multiple perspective, on a problem and they also have a future oriented. But critical thinker first gather information and then try to define it. Then they discover the point and try to define it. So we can say that creative writer thinks about natural way and creative writer thinks about logical way.

Jayshree Solanki

Jan 17, 2015, 4:25:14 AM1/17/15
to eng_d...@googlegroups.com
Respected sir,

Thank you for sharing this subject about critical v/s creative thinking .creative thinking mention things about  imagination.It represent picture of human nature. creative thinkers thinking many aspect . creative  writers have opennes to novelty.critical thinkers analysis that work. critical  thinkers discover find mistake in text.They interprete that matter.creative writers add their idea.They draw the picture of current society.

                              Thank you.......

kinjal patel

Jan 18, 2015, 7:40:45 AM1/18/15
to eng_d...@googlegroups.com
Respected sir,

My views about creative thinking and critical thinking. Creative thinking is related to humans imagination. Critical  thinking is about we can take any writer or person and criticize about their writing and their habits. Its a one kind of new way to looking their readers about their writing. Critical thinking is understanding of logical ideas and their are no place to imagination. So Critical and Creative both are important of their places.

                                                             Thank you......

Devika Gohil

Jan 27, 2015, 8:52:46 AM1/27/15
to eng_d...@googlegroups.com
Res. Sir,
Thank you for sharing such a wonderful article with us. There is a
minor line between creative thinking and critical thinking. Now, it is
clear our mind this minor difference through images. It is said that
to be judgmental (critical thinking) is easy but to be creative is one
of the tough task. But both the process takes same process having
different side of a coin.
Thanking you.
>>> *Respected Sir,*
>>> * Thank you for sharing this information with us. Here in this chart
>>> we
>>> compare easily critical thinking v/s creating thinking. Creative
>>> thinkers
>>> think about multiple perspective, on a problem and they also have a
>>> future
>>> oriented. But critical thinker first gather information and then try to
>>> define it. Then they discover the point and try to define it. So we can
>>> say
>>> that creative writer thinks about natural way and creative writer thinks
>>> about logical way. *

Deepika Vaja

Jan 29, 2015, 4:54:53 AM1/29/15
to eng_d...@googlegroups.com
Respected sir,

 I find out in this article in our mind is thinking and you also creative her/his mind. in my view that creative thinking and also it may be that to other thinkers. and it may that many critic are criticism to other citric and we  see that his own ideas express to thought. but we know that true is creative your though and than other critic criticism to hid work . in my perspective we see that to his own work into creative and than critic think and add some his ideas to this creativity so that in this article creative thinking and critical images are one coin two side and also different to thinkers and his thought .
  Thank you.....

Asmita Gond

Jan 31, 2015, 6:30:42 AM1/31/15
to eng_d...@googlegroups.com

Respected sir,

            Thank you for sharing such an informative article with us about critical and creative thinking. This article says about how to do creative thinking and how to do critical thinking.

                          If we are doing critical thinking we have to put some points in our mind like imagination, recognize the metaphors, reasoning etc. And then we have to think allot over the any literary work.

                           But during doing creative thinking we have to put some ideas in  our mind and we have to thing according to our imagination and  we have to think  with our heart not with our mind. Like Wordsworth is a creative poet and so he was thinking according to his heart and his imagination.

                        Threw critical thinking we can understand other human nature very well and threw critical thinking we can understand writers mind and his aim of writing the novel or any literary work.  So by taking Wordsworth’s example we can say that in Creative thinking we are thinking with our heart and in critical thinking we are using our logic by taking other quotations and other critics’ points.  In any type of literary analysis or any literary work creative and critical thing is very important.

                                Thank you…………………….

Bhumi Joshi

Feb 1, 2015, 5:27:07 AM2/1/15
to eng_d...@googlegroups.com
Respected Sir,
                     I read this article and here we clearly find the difference between Critical thinking Vs Creative thinking. Creator is a free from all rules and have enough space or freedom to think. so, we can say that  we can say that he thinks naturally means he can write what he feels actually.he has novelty new inventions and so many other things which are very useful to bring changes, also.Critical thinkers are also necessary to define work or its evaluation or & assessment . But they all think with logical perspective and every time find reasons behind it. so, we can say that critical thinkers have limited theories or boxes to prove their point. where as creative thinkers have multiple perspectives.
             so, we can say that creative thinkers think naturally & critical thinkers thinks all things with logical reasons.  i believe that creator stands first & than critic.
Thank you......

Tadha Vanita

Feb 3, 2015, 4:52:40 AM2/3/15
to eng_d...@googlegroups.com

1)      Respected Sir,

         Critical and creative are the term of literature. To create anything or to judge is difficult task.Imagination and thinking is necessary for creative writer and in critical to judgment with logic.  If anybody wants to create, they must have to face strong critical view and same critics have to put their critical point with logic or theory.

                        Thank you

dipti vaghela

Feb 3, 2015, 4:52:40 AM2/3/15
to eng_d...@googlegroups.com

    As my views regarding these topics are as under,
- both the process are different
- both have their own way
- cre.t is possible after the understanding of life, cri.t is possible after understanding the work or life.
- they have their own advantages, both are helpful
- without cre.t cri.t is impossible and without cri.t cre.t is incomplete
- every one has their own qualities as same both have their own qualities
- as same in Nature, sun and moon, day and night, etc.
        So thank you for sharing this.

On Dec 8, 2014 6:47 AM, "Dilip Barad" <dilip...@gmail.com> wrote:

Pritiba Gohil

Feb 8, 2015, 6:47:42 AM2/8/15
to eng_d...@googlegroups.com

Respected Sir,

                     As we studied Critical Vs Creative Thinking in our first sem that Aristotal and Plato discussed about  Critical Vs Creative Thinking. We shall try to understand the role and place given to ‘the critic’ in the field of literary criticism. The relationship between Criticism and Creativity is a very close and it is very difficult to decide which of these two processes came first. This relationship is as illusive as that of the seed and the tree, and the egg and the hen. The seed grows out of a tree and tree grows out of a seed. In the same way a hen grows out of an egg and an egg grows out of a hen. Similarly, it is absolutely impossible to find out whether an artist came first or a critic.

R.A. Scott James has rightly observed

“To the critics of the arts and especially literature custom has given an independent place. In this respect it differs from all other kind of criticism.”

Any student of literature who wishes to take some profitable use of the critical literature available to him will do well to keep the following words of Scott James in his mind before he goes on with the task that he has undertaken to accomplish: “It may be a gain to attend to the writer of this critical literature precisely in so far as they are not standing aloof, like magistrate who were never guilty of crime pronouncing dispassionately upon the blamelessness or the misdemeanour of artist”.

     As Vanita Said :-

Creative thinking.                   Critical thinking.

1) openness to novelty. -   1)Evaluation &
                                                       Assessments.
2) Idea generation.  -          2) categorization and
                                                     Classification.
3) Curiosity.              -           3)   Reasoning through logic.
4) Invention.             -            4)   Identification.
5) imagination.         -           5) interpretation.
6)Reasoning by                     6) Analysis.
   Metaphor & analogy-
7) Divergent thinking. -       7)Description
8) playfulness.              -       8). -

                                    Thank You …………..

shubhada parmar

Feb 22, 2015, 9:06:18 AM2/22/15
to eng_d...@googlegroups.com

Respected sir,

                       Thinking that is productive, purposeful and intentional is at the  center  of effective learning.Creative thinking is about applying imagination. Creativity is much more in the great artists, designers and musician. So, there is no limit to ways there are thinking creativity. Critical thinking includes a complex combination of skills. Generally critics are active. They ask questions and analyze. They are open to new ideas and perspective.21st century with its complex environmental, social and economic pressures requires people to be creative, innovative, creative and flexible, with the motivation, confidence and skills to use critical and creative thinking purposefully.

                                                                                                            Thank you.

Saryu Baraiya

Feb 23, 2015, 12:03:55 AM2/23/15
to eng_d...@googlegroups.com
Respected sir,
'Thinking' it self is a process and thinking creatively and thinking critically both are different types as pr my understanding. I think in creative thinking something is usually generated in mind with some differences and which is quite unique sometimes too. Creative thinking generates something but critical thinking is different from it. It is not generating something and it is just thinking on something with some different vision and in different angel. It just changes perspective of  looking towards any thing but not making huge different in any point or topic. It is not creating something. Creative thought is like a seed that can grow a whole tree but critical thinking is to find a different branch in already planted tree.
Thank you.

Nidhi Jasani

Feb 23, 2015, 7:38:13 AM2/23/15
to eng_d...@googlegroups.com
Respected sir,
    I think that both creative thinking and critical thinking are equally important. Creative ideas comes or deals with the openness to novelty and critical thinking comes with the evaluation and assessment of the literary work. In other words creative thinking gives the reason with the help of metaphor and analogy, it also gives pleasure while critical thinking deals with logic and sometimes it gives deferent view to look at the world and literary work, its like little seed from which a huge tree comes out.
Thank you.

Neha Mehta

Feb 26, 2015, 1:42:45 AM2/26/15
to eng_d...@googlegroups.com
Respected Sir,
              Thank you  for sharing this wounder full article.with us. critical thinking is some idea and according to our imagination. if we have high level think then we can do some thing new means creative and for critical we must have some reading then we prove our view or point. thus, both are helpful for imagination.
                                           Thank you...