Vector Earth Images

Phil Bordelon

Feb 23, 2012, 10:27:04 PM2/23/12
to endgame-s...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

I've been playing around with E:S the last couple of days, and I thought I'd
share one of the fruits of my labour. Attached is a .tar.gz with alternate
images for the Earth, both day and night. They will /not/ replace the
original images; you'll have to put them in your data/images directory, then
edit code/screens/map.py, lines 42 and 46 (in the current version). Just
change the references to 'earth.jpg' and 'earth_night.jpg' to
'vector-earth-filled.png' and 'vector-earth.png', respectively.

I of course provide no warranty, am not at fault if your computer explodes,
blah blah blah. I do think that the ultra-simple images look quite a bit
nicer than the realistic ones.

Enjoy!

vector-earth.tar.gz

Max McCracken

Feb 26, 2012, 10:03:13 AM2/26/12
to endgame-s...@googlegroups.com
Looks pretty nice :)
It actually reminds me of Introversion games, they went for that look
at some point.

Phil Bordelon

Feb 26, 2012, 11:29:17 AM2/26/12
On 02/26/2012 09:03 AM, Max McCracken wrote:
> Looks pretty nice :)
> It actually reminds me of Introversion games, they went for that look
> at some point.

Yeah, it does look Defcon-y. I think that's all right, though; there's
only so many ways to make a minimalistic map of the Earth.

Mestre Lion

Nov 15, 2012, 10:41:28 PM11/15/12
to endgame-s...@googlegroups.com
We always care, even if a few months later :)

The updated image was commited and pushed to the testing/background branch of my personal repo at http://github.com/mestrelion/singularity , and will land in official repo when theme support is finished.

Thanks!

On Wednesday, July 4, 2012 10:53:23 PM UTC-3, Wingman4l7 wrote:
A friend of mine pointed out that in the daytime image [vector-earth-filled.png]
Sri Lanka (that little island off the coast of India) is missing the color infill.
I've attached a fixed version* if anyone cares  =)
The image had to be zipped to get around dimension limits on attached images.
*(patched up in MS Paint -- which unfortunately & inexplicably made the file size 3x what it used to be --
   then shrunk back to a reasonable size using TinyPNG)