iDevices remake

r618

Jun 11, 2011, 5:38:11 PM6/11/11
to endgame-singularity
I want to do a remake of E:S for Apple's devices and sell it on App
store.
I will do this from scratch, not in python, but based on your code and
possibly, if licensing permits it, reusing some assets.

First of all: is this okay with you ?
Secondly: I won't reuse the code, but I will heavily adopt it for
other language - to what extent do you think GPL applies for this ?
It's not a problem to make source available if/when it is finished.
Third: Similar question about assets / music, fonts / - do you think
they can be reused in commercial application ?

Thanks

evilmrhenry

Jun 11, 2011, 6:12:53 PM6/11/11
to endgame-s...@googlegroups.com
r618 wrote:
> I want to do a remake of E:S for Apple's devices and sell it on App
> store.
> I will do this from scratch, not in python, but based on your code and
> possibly, if licensing permits it, reusing some assets.
>
> First of all: is this okay with you ?

Eh.

> Secondly: I won't reuse the code, but I will heavily adopt it for
> other language - to what extent do you think GPL applies for this ?

It basically has to be open source (GPL) if you use the existing source
at all. I can't relicense it, as there are enough contributers to prove
annoying.

Because the iWhatever is not an open platform, there may be
complications because people can't compile and run it themselves on an
iWhatever. Research this. (This is a bit of a messy issue.)

In general, you'll need to rewrite it entirely to get it to run anyway,
so I suggest just starting from scratch, and treating Endgame as a black
box. It's not like the code's anything amazing, anyway.

> It's not a problem to make source available if/when it is finished.
> Third: Similar question about assets / music, fonts / - do you think
> they can be reused in commercial application ?

The licenses are listed in the readme. The background is from NASA, and
I think can be used for commercial use with attribution. The Acknowledge
font is freely usable. The music is under the CC Attribution-ShareAlike
3.0, and is usable in commercial works.

> Thanks

r618

Jun 11, 2011, 7:41:50 PM6/11/11
to endgame-singularity
HI,

thanks for reply

On Jun 12, 12:12 am, evilmrhenry <evilmrhe...@emhsoft.com> wrote:
> r618 wrote:
> > I want to do a remake of E:S for Apple's devices and sell it on App
> > store.
> > I will do this from scratch, not in python, but based on your code and
> > possibly, if licensing permits it, reusing some assets.
>
> > First of all: is this okay with you ?
>
> Eh.

I found it to be polite asking for permission on the forum, didn't
want to offend you or anyone else. I hope that's okay.

> > Secondly: I won't reuse the code, but I will heavily adopt it for
> > other language - to what extent do you think GPL applies for this ?
>
> It basically has to be open source (GPL) if you use the existing source
> at all. I can't relicense it, as there are enough contributers to prove
> annoying.
>
> Because the iWhatever is not an open platform, there may be
> complications because people can't compile and run it themselves on an
> iWhatever. Research this. (This is a bit of a messy issue.)
>
> In general, you'll need to rewrite it entirely to get it to run anyway,
> so I suggest just starting from scratch, and treating Endgame as a black
> box. It's not like the code's anything amazing, anyway.

There are many open sourced apps on the app store, and were there
shortly after the store started (e.g. wordpress for idevices -
http://ios.wordpress.org/development/ , which is GPL, or
sunsetlake's Molecules - http://www.sunsetlakesoftware.com/2008/10/02/molecules-source-code-now-available
- BSD though. And many others, (ported) games included ), so GPL
licensing shouldn't be a problem.

In this case, however, I am not sure about source licensing; I won't
use it as it is, in fact, I will use more of an algorithm and data. So
I will, of course, give proper credits to original authors, and GPL it
anyway - I will look into this.

> > It's not a problem to make source available if/when it is finished.
> > Third: Similar question about assets / music, fonts / - do you think
> > they can be reused in commercial application ?
>
> The licenses are listed in the readme. The background is from NASA, and
> I think can be used for commercial use with attribution. The Acknowledge
> font is freely usable. The music is under the CC Attribution-ShareAlike
> 3.0, and is usable in commercial works.

Thanks for clarification. That means that the game might look exactly
as current version, which is great.

> > Thanks

evilmrhenry

Jun 11, 2011, 7:49:14 PM6/11/11
to endgame-s...@googlegroups.com
> There are many open sourced apps on the app store, and were there
> shortly after the store started (e.g. wordpress for idevices -
> http://ios.wordpress.org/development/ , which is GPL, or
> sunsetlake's Molecules - http://www.sunsetlakesoftware.com/2008/10/02/molecules-source-code-now-available
> - BSD though. And many others, (ported) games included ), so GPL
> licensing shouldn't be a problem.
>
> In this case, however, I am not sure about source licensing; I won't
> use it as it is, in fact, I will use more of an algorithm and data. So
> I will, of course, give proper credits to original authors, and GPL it
> anyway - I will look into this.

I did a bit of checking, and it looks like the relevant clause was
inserted in GPL 3. Endgame is licensed under (at your option) v2 or
later, so that shouldn't be a problem.

r618

Jun 11, 2011, 8:15:53 PM6/11/11
to endgame-singularity

On Jun 12, 1:49 am, evilmrhenry <evilmrhe...@emhsoft.com> wrote:
> > There are many open sourced apps on the app store, and were there
> > shortly after the store started (e.g. wordpress for idevices -
> >http://ios.wordpress.org/development/, which is GPL, or
> > sunsetlake's Molecules -http://www.sunsetlakesoftware.com/2008/10/02/molecules-source-code-no...
> > - BSD though. And many others, (ported) games included ), so GPL
> > licensing shouldn't be a problem.
>
> > In this case, however, I am not sure about source licensing; I won't
> > use it as it is, in fact, I will use more of an algorithm and data. So
> > I will, of course, give proper credits to original authors, and GPL it
> > anyway - I will look into this.
>
> I did a bit of checking, and it looks like the relevant clause was
> inserted in GPL 3. Endgame is licensed under (at your option) v2 or
> later, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks!