Key File and Passphrase

Joachim Terzi

Sep 3, 2020, 6:44:51 AM9/3/20
to encry...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I was wondering whether you could explain to me how the encryption with both a key file and the passphrase works.
I didn’t understand the explanation offered on the EncryptPad page.
I’ll tell you what I think it means, perhaps you could tell me whether I’m right or wrong.

So, I am generating a key file and I can protect that with a passphrase.
Meaning that the passphrase is used to encrypt the key file.

Than I can use another passphrase to encrypt my plaintext and then encrypt it again with the key file.

Is any of that influencing the initialization vector (IV) in e.g. the AES algorithm? Or are both going into the key?
Can I influence the IV at all?

Thanks!

Greetings,

Joachim Terz

Evgeny Pokhilko

Sep 3, 2020, 7:54:11 AM9/3/20
to Joachim Terzi, encry...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joachim,

Your description is almost right but in a different order.

Here is step by step process:

Key:

1. The program generates a random sequence of characters
2. EncryptPad encrypts the sequence with symmetric encryption in gnupg format

Text:

3. The program asks the user for the passphrase to decrypt the key file
4. EncryptPad uses the random sequence from point 1 to encrypt the plain text

5. Then the application asks the user for another passphrase to encrypt the result of point 4 again
6. EncryptPad encrypts the result in gnupg format.

No, both steps of the text encryption are independent in terms of IV but the same algorithm and other configurable parameters are used. They are in File/File Properties...

The encryption of the key file has its own parameters in Settings/Preferences/Key file encryption properties...

No, you cannot influence IV unless you change the source code.

Cheers,
> --

Evgeny Pokhilko