Alert: Why does EncrptPad use sockets?

lukas.s...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2018, 6:21:26 AM11/18/18
to EncryptPad
My f-secure virus protection raised an alarm and blocked EncryptPad for suspicious behaviour.
On github I then found Encryptpad is using sockets (ip_sockets.cpp).
Why should a texteditor access the internet???
To me this looks like a serious security flaw.
This is a no-go and I will not use it anymore.

/Lukas

Evgeny Pokhilko

Nov 18, 2018, 6:54:49 AM11/18/18
to lukas.s...@gmail.com, EncryptPad
Hi Lukas,

EncryptPad doesn't use sockets. ip_sockets.cpp comes with stlplus library. EncryptPad doesn't use the ip_sockets, tcp_sockets or udp_sockets provided by the library. You can download the source files and search if it makes any calls to those header files. There is none.

Regarding the anti-virus, unfortunately anti-viruses make false-positives sometimes (see https://github.com/evpo/EncryptPad/issues/67).

Regards,
Evgeny
> --

Evgeny Pokhilko
Message has been deleted

Evgeny Pokhilko

Nov 22, 2018, 4:32:00 AM11/22/18
to encry...@googlegroups.com
I am forwarding the reply Lukas received from f-secure regarding the false-positive identification

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 12:55:02 +0100
From: Lukas
To: Evgeny
Subject: F-Secure: 01953692 encryptpad0_4_0_2_win32 malware warning - fals [ ref:_00Db0JXpV._5000X1bR3tp:ref ]

Dear Evgeny

See below the answer from f-secure.
It is now whitelisted.

Thanks anyway,
Lukas a

Nov 30, 2018, 11:40:23 PM11/30/18
to EncryptPad
30.11.2018
After receiving the alert I sent the file to f-secure for further analysis.
f-secure confirmed it was a false positive and that they would include it in their white list.
Mail from f-secure: (I remove tags

Betreff: F-Secure: 01953692 encryptpad0_4_0_2_win32 malware warning -
fals [ ref:_00Db0JXpV._5000X1bR3tp:ref ]
Datum: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 09:37:03 +0000 (GMT)
Von: F-Secure Customer Care <customer-care(at)f-secure(dot)com>
An: lukas {removed private address}