Phillips DNA Group 10

squirt

Jan 10, 2011, 10:30:03 AM1/10/11
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Here is a copy of my email to Tom Hutchison. Thanks for his response! I have also been in contact with Nancy Kiser and a Group 10 descedent. I am interested in any information out there, particularly about Laban Phillips and his parents, etc. I appreciate any documents or clues you can share:

I am a descendant of Phillips DNA Group 10, specifically from Henry Mayfield Phillips, son of Nathaniel Phillips (Killed in Battle of Wilderness, Civil War Co. H, 12th Regiment VA Calvary, in May 1864), son of Laban Phillips [ born in 1794 in Randolph Co. NC; wife Anna Mariah Deaton born 1807--listed 1815 Capt. Lane’s District; Taxable Property in Chatham County NC for Tyson's Creek along with Sion, Meredith, Benjamin, and Phoebe Phillips--also reported to be one of the first settlers in Dante, VA; called "Turkey Foot" at the time. Had a little cabin where the old hotel used to be; where the Clincfield Coal Co. office was located.] They appear to have moved to western Virginia from Randolph Co. NC. Am searching for Laban's parents and appreciate any information that can be shared. Thanks!

Tim Walls

Jan 10, 2011, 12:28:25 PM1/10/11
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com, candybl...@gmail.com
Candy,

Didn't know Laban Phillips was born in Randolph County, NC. His 1794 birthdate would seem to make him pretty close to my Stephen Phillips in age - as Stephen was born in December of 1797 and bound out to John Patterson at age 15 in late 1813. From 1812 until 1815, there were various Phillips orphans bound out to various people, so I gather that the parents had died. Am wondering if the father of these orphans was a James Phillips. Have you seen any information for James Phillips of Randolph County, NC? I have some but of course not as much as I'd like.

By the way, I am a linear male descendant of this Phillips line from Stephen, despite my last name. Evidence points strongly to my line being this: my great grandfather was William Franklin Walls, son of Hannah Walls and probably Franklin Phillips. (bastardy bond records however named William HIX as the father, but I am not HIX or HICKS related so this is probably a matter of confusion or blackmail on the part of the mother) Franklin was almost certainly the son of a John Phillips who was the son of Stephen Phillips and no further record of Franklin can be found after 1860's census. He may have died in the war and family legend does support the Civil War soldier story. John Phillips was born January 13, 1822 and died in Morgan County, Indiana on 6 Dec 1898, buried Centerton Cemetery with a marker. He is presumed to have been father of Franklin via an unknown woman, perhaps an Indian woman, since there is no bastardy bond listing John Phillips in 1840, 1841, or 1842. John left NC for Indiana about 1845 and entered 80 acres of land in Morgan County, Indiana in 1848-1849. I presume he developed the land first before buying it because his father in law, White Davidson, and wife, Elizabeth Davidson, were living there by 1838. He married Elizabeth Davidson about 1845 and their first child was Rachel Phillips, born in 1847. I have the family on Ancestry.com.

Tim Walls

[...]

Nancy Kiser

Jan 10, 2011, 12:58:10 PM1/10/11
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Candy,

I received the following information from Linda Phillips (another member of Group 10) on 27 Dec 2010:

Hi Nancy,

Labourne Phillips from Group #10 still does not list his parents.  From the book, "Recollections of SWVA" by JB Sutherland, two of Labourne's sons said that their grandparents were Joel & Phoebe Phillips of Randolph County, NC.  I can scan those pages and email them to you if you like.

Linda Phillips

I believe Linda belongs to this mail group, but her email address is lindaph...@comcast.net in case she does not.

Nancy
Sent: Mon, January 10, 2011 8:30:03 AM