Phillips in Madison County, TN 1850

lesliewi...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2022, 1:08:07 PM11/6/22
to Early NC Phillips Families
Hi, and thank you for allowing me to join! I have been trying to connect my 4th gg, Atlas G Phillips, to his parents which remain unknown. I have pieces to the puzzle but not the connecting one! This is what I know:

Atlas G Phillips was born in North Carolina around 1826 according to the 1850 US Census. He married Caroline Bishop in 1848 in Madison County, Tennessee.
A G Phillips & Caroline are living together on the 1850 census in the same county which they were married and have a one year old son, Thomas.

Caroline's father, Edmund Bishop, passed in Madison County, Tennessee in 1848, and they are mentioned in his will. Bishop genealogy sources say that the Phillips moved to "north Mississippi" and died there. This matches what I know as I found A G Phillips' Civil War enlistment information, and their daughter, my 3rd gg, was supposedly born in Hernando, DeSoto County, Mississippi, which is just outside of Memphis, TN.

I can find NO record of Atlas before 1850 or after his civil war enlistment although his name is not listed as a casualty. The only census I can find him on is 1850 even though he was obviously alive in 1860 before the start of the civil war.

I have found several DNA matches that appear to descend from Matthew Phillips and Lydia Cheek or Willis Phillips and Phoebe Sanders. One also looks like from Laban Phillips, although I'm not sure who Laban's father is. However, several of my lines appear to have lived in the same area, so I could making connections that are coincidence.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Is anyone here on gedmatch that I can compare my and/or my father's DNA to? Thanks so much for any advice or guidance!
Leslie Abt

squirt

Nov 6, 2022, 2:24:35 PM11/6/22
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Hi! Our Phillips DNA Group 10 has our line with Laban/Laban Phillips. From the 1894 estate records of Willis Phillips and wife Phoebe Sanders, we believe our Laban is the minor child Laban listed in Willis’ records from the Chatham Co NC area. We have not been able to discover the link between Willis and others living near him in that area or who his parents are. Nor have we successfully found evidence of which Sanders line Phoebe is from, although it appears she should be kin to the other Sanders families there too. There remains a lot of confusion and similarities between the lines of the Phillips Groups 10 and Group 8, like they were in the same area and should be related, yet aren’t by DNA. Any new evidence links would be much appreciated! —FloydMarg

Leslie Abt

Nov 6, 2022, 5:12:46 PM11/6/22
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com
Is there a way that I can add our DNA to see if we match any others in the groups? I have it on Ancestry, MyHeritage & Gedmatch but am willing to upload it somewhere else if needed.
Oh, and I went back and looked and have 3 documented DNA matches who descend from Sanders Phillips who appears to be the son of Dennis Phillips & Mary Sanders. Also DNA matches who descend from Dennis' other children Lindsey/Lenzible Phillips and Sarah Phillips.

Nancy Kiser

Nov 6, 2022, 8:52:01 PM11/6/22
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com
Ancestry etc test autosomal DNA and the groups in our Phillips DNA Project are based on testing male Phillips Y-DNA. But FTDNA will allow you to add autosomal DNA to their database for a small fee

Sent from my iPhone