Zachariah Phillips son Ichabod

Tom Hutchison

Jun 2, 2016, 7:58:16 PM6/2/16
to Early NC Phillips Families
Hi Everyone

This goes particularly to Nancy. We have a new member, Teri who is researching:

I am a Regent for our local DAR and I am researching Zachariah Phillips son Ichabod. I am looking for proof of this connection as listed on this site, If anyone here can provide that proof or where we can look...we would be forever greatful!

I think Teri was referencing your work Nancy found here: https://encphillips.com/wiki/Phillips_in_Wilkes_County,_GA

1772 Zachariah Phillips petitioned Trustee of GA stating he had been in the colony for some time, had wife, 10 children, and prayed for 100 acres in Wrightsborough Township, petition granted. (This is from “The Georgians” by Jeannette Holland Austin. She says that Zachariah had the following children: William, Reuben, Hillery, Joseph, Mark, Ichabod, James and Josiah. Most of these names appear to be wrong, and it appears from the entry below that Zachariah only had 4 sons in 1773. If he followed normal Colonial naming patterns, his first three sons were named William for his father, Joseph for his father-in-law, and Zachariah for himself. DNA testing has now also proven that Jeannette was wrong about the parents of Zachariah. The Quaker town of Wrightsboro was located in the part of Columbia County that became McDuffie County.)

Terri, please correct me if I'm wrong or add additional information.

Thanks

Tom

Nancy Kiser

Jun 2, 2016, 8:54:28 PM6/2/16
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com
I am personally convinced that Ichabod was not the son of Zachariah.  We have now got two descendants of Ichabod Phillips born around 1770-1775, married to Sophia Lord in the project and their Y-DNA matches that of our Phillips Family DNA Group 14.  We have three descendants of Zachariah Phillips born around 1735 who married 1) Mary White and 2) Rachel Walker Wall and their Y-DNA matches that of our Phillips Family DNA Group 8.  Group 14 and Group 8 have totally different Y-DNA.  In fact, they do not even belong to the same haplogroup which means they cannot share a common paternal ancestor within thousands of years.  Here are links to the lineage pages for Group 8 and 14:

Tom

Jun 2, 2016, 11:07:06 PM6/2/16
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nancy, I totally agree. It sounds like the creator of that record made a lot of assumptions based on the same last name in the same area. We know from all the DNA testing that just because the last names were the same doesn't mean they were related.

Tom

Martha Marble

Jun 2, 2016, 11:29:33 PM6/2/16
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com

Sounds like people are looking at the  little green leaves. They are worth a chuckle a day when have nothing else better to do than to look at any of them.

Have gotten very into the Sutton YDNA project.  A family I was 100% sure came down my Sutton line - no go. The YDNA, as we all know, can really throw you for a loop - just look at the Lenoir Co, NC Phillips crowd.

Martha

On Jun 2, 2016, at 8:51 PM, 'Nancy Kiser' via Early NC Phillips Families < ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I am personally convinced that Ichabod was not the son of Zachariah.  We have now got two descendants of Ichabod Phillips born around 1770-1775, married to Sophia Lord in the project and their Y-DNA matches that of our Phillips Family DNA Group 14.  We have three descendants of Zachariah Phillips born around 1735 who married 1) Mary White and 2) Rachel Walker Wall and their Y-DNA matches that of our Phillips Family DNA Group 8.  Group 14 and Group 8 have totally different Y-DNA.  In fact, they do not even belong to the same haplogroup which means they cannot share a common paternal ancestor within thousands of years.  Here are links to the lineage pages for Group 8 and 14:

Family Group 08

Family Group 08

By Webmaster
Phillips DNA Project, using male Y-DNA to connect genetic cousins.

Family Group 14

Family Group 14

By Tom Hutchison