Passwd my account and I can not login in VMs Now

aerber zhou

Mar 23, 2022, 9:43:51 AM3/23/22
to emulab-users
Hi everyone, sorry to disturb.

For some reason, I set a password for my account (command like this: $ passwd <username>). Then I can't log into the VMs with my ssh key. Is there any previous way to solve this problem? Or can the administrator of Emulab reset the content of my account in the users directory?

Thank for any suggestion!

Mengying

Mike Hibler

Mar 23, 2022, 10:20:35 AM3/23/22
to emulab...@googlegroups.com
It does not look like you have any ssh pubkeys uploaded to Emulab. This is
the only way to ensure a public key remains in your authorized_keys file.
If you add a key to that file manually, it will get overwritten.

I suspect this is what happened because the backup of authorized_keys file
does have an additional pubkey in it.
> --
> emulab-users/1c0b7c58-ac0a-46e6-bbfd-46d23d74e0f8n%40googlegroups.com.

Leigh Stoller

Mar 23, 2022, 10:23:17 AM3/23/22
to emulab-users

> It does not look like you have any ssh pubkeys uploaded to Emulab.

And to upload your public keys, click on your name in the upper right
and select “Manage SSH Keys”.

Leigh

aerber zhou

Mar 23, 2022, 10:27:43 AM3/23/22
to emulab-users
I have just deleted all of my ssh pubkeys and re-added them, to try to solve this problem. But this does not work. BTW, I have remembered that I have deleted the .ssh folder in my /users/usersname.... And I forget to backup. I know this is a bad choice...

My username is myzhou.

Mike Hibler

Mar 23, 2022, 10:34:23 AM3/23/22
to emulab...@googlegroups.com
There is a key in the file now, did you upload one? Is it working now?
> emulab-users/cfcbf1a0-ff99-4321-8c7e-e5cf1313b821n%40googlegroups.com.

aerber zhou

Mar 23, 2022, 10:41:11 AM3/23/22
to emulab...@googlegroups.com
Yes. I have just uploaded one. But this does not work.

If you have the access ability to my files, you can see I just have authorized_keys in my .ssh folder. But when I  check others' .ssh folder, I found they have other files, like encrypted. Maybe this is the reason? Now my ssh connection error is "myz...@pc278.emulab.net: Permission denied (publickey)."

--
Best Regards.

Mengying Zhou
PhD student
School of Computer Science
Fudan University

aerber zhou

Mar 23, 2022, 12:06:24 PM3/23/22
to emulab-users
Or maybe do you have any method to reset my account? You can re-create my account since there is no important data in my home folder.

Leigh Stoller

Mar 23, 2022, 12:28:00 PM3/23/22
to emulab...@googlegroups.com

> Or maybe do you have any method to reset my account? You can re-create my account since there is no important data in my home folder.

Hi. I have fixed the permissions of your home directory. Do not mess with
the permissions or owner of your homedir or .ssh dir, and you will be
fine going forward.

Leigh

aerber zhou

Mar 23, 2022, 6:55:57 PM3/23/22
to emulab-users
Thank you so much for your help! I'm doing an urgent experiment and I don't know how to go without your help!

BTW, could you please tell me what is causing the problem with my account ssh login, to prevent I mess such a bad scenario next time.

Mike Hibler

Mar 23, 2022, 7:13:52 PM3/23/22
to emulab...@googlegroups.com
Since Emulab uses an NFS-mounted home directory that is shared to all
experiment nodes, it could well be something you are doing on one of the
nodes that is messing up the permissions on your home directory. Perhaps
some package you are installing is doing it. That is something you will
need to figure out.
> --
> emulab-users/b825ea73-31e9-4f8b-be24-06537587d72dn%40googlegroups.com.

aerber zhou

Mar 23, 2022, 9:10:49 PM3/23/22
to emulab-users
Thank you for the explanation! I will take care of my operation next time.