List of latest images (Debian and Ubuntu)

burnettb317

Sep 7, 2017, 2:33:26 PM9/7/17
to emulab-admins

jason....@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2021, 9:01:41 PM1/8/21
to emulab-admins
I'm looking for older OS image as well, and noticed that http://www.emulab.net/downloads/images-STD/ still gets "non-existent page" error...
(I couldn't log in to emulab.net due to account inactivity)
Any chance you guys have a non-updated CentOS 7.3 image?

Thanks,
Jason

Leigh Stoller

Jan 9, 2021, 10:38:58 AM1/9/21
to emulab...@googlegroups.com
at 6:01 PM, jason....@gmail.com <jason....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for older OS image as well, and noticed that http://www.emulab.net/downloads/images-STD/ still gets "non-existent page" error...
> (I couldn't log in to emulab.net due to account inactivity)
> Any chance you guys have a non-updated CentOS 7.3 image?

Hi. I updated the image importing wiki page (at the bottom) with the list of
images we currently support.

https://gitlab.flux.utah.edu/emulab/emulab-devel/-/wikis/install/Importing-OS-Images-From-Utah

We do not have a CentOS 7.3 image. The last one we did on the 7.X line
is 7.1 …

Leigh

jason....@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2021, 11:54:55 AM1/9/21
to emulab-admins
Thanks Leigh!
If that URL is the same "CENTOS7-64-STD" from last year, it was already up to 7.7.  Do you have the URL for the older 7.1 image you mentioned?

Regards,
Jason Boles

David M. Johnson

Jan 9, 2021, 12:42:03 PM1/9/21
to emulab...@googlegroups.com, jason....@gmail.com
On 1/9/21 9:54 AM, jason....@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks Leigh!
> If that URL
> <https://www.emulab.net/image_metadata.php?uuid=6fa68fd6-9163-11e6-ac8c-90e2ba22fee4> is
> the same "CENTOS7-64-STD" from last year, it was already up to 7.7.  Do
> you have the URL for the older 7.1 image you mentioned?

You should use CENTOS7-64-STD unless you know that your use case really
cares about a diff in some package between 7.3 and 7.9 , and that
there's no hack around it.

The issue is that although CentOS 7 followed a (minor) point release
model in name, the only way to obtain security updates was to jump to
the latest version of packages from the current minor release, because
CentOS 7 doesn't provide separate repos for each minor release, nor
minor release-specific updates (nor does it provide separate
security(+dep)-only package metadata, so `yum update-minimal --security`
does not do anything). This is the main reason we stopped using point
releases in the image name -- we don't want to supply images with known
vulnerabilities long-term, nor can we support 9 separate CentOS 7 images
each with a point release of CentOS.

We made this switch between CENTOS71-64-STD (whose head was surely
already 7.2 at the time) and CENTOS7-64-STD, right after 7.3 was
released. Unfortunately we did not update the Description and OS fields
correctly in the CENTOS7-64-STD image. So you end up going by the
Updated timestamp to see which of the old versions you might want to
try. The first version after 7.3 was release is probably version 3; the
last version prior to the 7.4 release looks to be version 7 (e.g.
https://www.emulab.net/portal/show-image.php?imageid=5156&version=7).

I wouldn't really recommend using this version, though... it will have
plenty of security vulnerabilities and bugfixes to the Emulab
clientside, and we can't support it.

Sorry, unsatisfying answer, but we only have enough staff to effectively
follow the upstream long-term stable policies of upstream Linux distros.
We have to hope that the vast majority of ABI changes only occur at
major release boundaries. Sometimes it works ;)

> Regards,
> Jason Boles

David

> On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 10:38:58 AM UTC-5 sto...@flux.utah.edu
> wrote:
>
> at 6:01 PM, jason....@gmail.com <jason....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for older OS image as well, and noticed that
> http://www.emulab.net/downloads/images-STD/ still gets "non-existent
> page" error...
> > (I couldn't log in to emulab.net <http://emulab.net> due to
> account inactivity)
> > Any chance you guys have a non-updated CentOS 7.3 image?
>
> Hi. I updated the image importing wiki page (at the bottom) with the
> list of
> images we currently support.
>
> https://gitlab.flux.utah.edu/emulab/emulab-devel/-/wikis/install/Importing-OS-Images-From-Utah
>

> We do not have a CentOS 7.3 image. The last one we did on the 7.X line
> is 7.1 …
>
> Leigh
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/emulab-admins/5ab3c9b5-4bbe-4f57-bc8b-b33f13287c4cn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/emulab-admins/5ab3c9b5-4bbe-4f57-bc8b-b33f13287c4cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

jason....@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2021, 10:25:13 PM1/9/21
to emulab-admins
Hi David,
  I understand the security implications of older OS images, and I think you guys are doing the right thing w.r.t. only having 1 centos7 image that has applied updates.
  The particular reason I'm asking is because we want to test Intel OFED+ driver distribution for some old QLogic (bought by intel) QDR Infiniband HCAs, which they EOL'd and last download version was from 2018, and the SRPMs are based on OFED 4.8-1, which only supports up to RHEL 7.3.  The same compiler error message I'm getting with CentOS 7.7 was found in openfabrics mailing list thread, in which the maintainer Vlad said they don't support the kernel from 7.4 yet (back when 4.8-1 was latest).   The cards do work with newer OS and OFED, however the performance was much lower than expected.  Chuck found and fixed a threading bug in the PSM library (also abandoned by intel, in favor of PSM2, which is used by their omni-path products) - so it's not a big deal as long as we use PSM.  There was an old HPE support thread about QlogicOFED+ having fixes in the ib_qib driver for improved ibverbs performance, so just wanted to verify that claim.

image_import didn't like "&version=7" in the URL, but I noticed in that metadata there was a different UUID that referenced the same .ndz:7, and using that new URL, image_import worked to download that version.  I loaded the Image onto a node, and indeed it is release 7.3.1611, and also the intel OFED+ installer was successful.  (performance testing can wait til next week)

Thanks again!

Regards,
Jason Boles