[Android] Speccy 5.6 Released

fms

Dec 27, 2020, 8:41:32 PM12/27/20
to EMUL8
Hello, All!

I have released Speccy 5.6, a new version of my Sinclair ZX Spectrum and Sam Coupe emulator for Android:

This release is based on the latest Speccy 5.6 for Windows and Linux, published last week. It fixes issues with loading some .TRD and .Z80 files.

Since Google no longer allows apps to access file system on Android10+ devices, the new Speccy will now access files via "content providers" on these devices. You may have to give the app permission to access your storage. Please, report any found problems to the support group or email me directly about them:

As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning Speccy from the store. You can easily reenable cheats though by downloading this file to your Downloads folder:
* Based on latest Speccy 5.6 for Windows and Linux sources.
* Fixed some .Z80 files not loading due to missing Interface I ROM.
* Fixed problem loading truncated .TRD files.
* Refactored app to comply with Google's latest ban on file I/O.
* On Android 10+, all file access is now done via content providers.
* Content is copied to a temporary folder for use, changes moved back on exit.
* You may have to give app separate permission to read each storage location.
* Fixed several crash sources that popped up after refactoring.
* Fixed handling of spaces and parentheses in "content://" URIs.
* Fixed list of volumes in "Change Folder" dialog.
* Fixed "Change Folder" functionality.

Merry Christmas!

F. Javier Gordo

Dec 29, 2020, 10:37:52 AM12/29/20
to EMUL8
Hello.
After update to specy 5.6 (android 4.1, bq edison2) app doesn't start anymore. It simply stops. I have had to reinstall 5.5 to make it work again. Regards. Thank you
Javier

fms

Dec 29, 2020, 10:39:22 AM12/29/20
to EMUL8
On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 10:37:52 AM UTC-5 fjavie...@gmail.com wrote:
After update to specy 5.6 (android 4.1, bq edison2) app doesn't start anymore. It simply stops. I have had to reinstall 5.5 to make it work again.
A few questions:

1) What app are you using, Speccy or Speccy Deluxe?
2) Have you submitted crash report via Android crash reporting UI?

Marat

F. Javier Gordo

Dec 29, 2020, 12:07:04 PM12/29/20
to em...@googlegroups.com
Hello:

I am using Speccy Deluxe
I have submited crash information via Android ( the one which is generated by android using option in the menu which pops when I try to start app).

Thank you)

fms

Dec 29, 2020, 7:07:38 PM12/29/20
to EMUL8
On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 12:07:04 PM UTC-5 fjavie...@gmail.com wrote:
I am using Speccy Deluxe
I have submited crash information via Android ( the one which is generated by android using option in the menu which pops when I try to start app).
I am not seeing any Speccy Deluxe crash reports from Android 4.1 devices at the moment. It might be a delay in Google reporting though.

F. Javier Gordo

Dec 30, 2020, 10:36:18 AM12/30/20
to em...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I’m sorry. That was my mistake. Android version is 4.2.2

Thank you

fms

Dec 30, 2020, 11:44:21 AM12/30/20
to EMUL8
On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 10:36:18 AM UTC-5 fjavie...@gmail.com wrote:

I’m sorry. That was my mistake. Android version is 4.2.2

I am still not seeing any Speccy Deluxe crash reports from Android 4.x devices, at all. Also tested on an Android 4.4 device yesterday (an old Dell Venue 8) and did not find any issues. Are there any other mistakes by any chance?

F. Javier Gordo

Dec 30, 2020, 12:06:36 PM12/30/20
to em...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have installed 5.6 again with the same results, (Crash by APP start).

Also I have sent again a new Android report:

Device:    fnac_3_10_Plus
I’m sorry. That was my mistake. Android version is 4.2.2

I am still not seeing any Speccy Deluxe crash reports from Android 4.x devices, at all. Also tested on an Android 4.4 device yesterday (an old Dell Venue 8) and did not find any issues. Are there any other mistakes by any chance?

F. Javier Gordo

Jan 3, 2021, 1:22:35 PM1/3/21
to em...@googlegroups.com
Hello and happy new year,

I have made three install tests of Speccy Deluxe 5.6 on weekend:

Device:   Onda Mid
Release:  4.1.1
Result: Version 5.6 crashes when launching APP. Version 5.5 works fine
Report: Sent

Device:   fnac_3_10_Plus
Release:  4.2.2
Result: Version 5.6 Crashes when launching APP. Version 5.5 works fine
Report: Sent

Device:   BQ Edison 3 mini
Release:  5.0
Result: version 5.6 Works OK
Report: not needed

So I guess version 5.6 only works on Android 4.4 and higher.

Thank you

fms

Jan 3, 2021, 1:24:15 PM1/3/21
to EMUL8
On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 1:22:35 PM UTC-5 fjavie...@gmail.com wrote:

So I guess version 5.6 only works on Android 4.4 and higher.
Thanks for checking this out! The oldest device I have here run Android 4.4, which might be the reason I could not replicate the issue. Going to search for an older device and debug on it.

fms

Jan 3, 2021, 9:31:29 PM1/3/21
to EMUL8
Found and fixed the problem. The fix will be out with the next Speccy release.

F. Javier Gordo

Jan 12, 2021, 11:12:23 AM1/12/21
to em...@googlegroups.com
New version 5.6.1 tested on the same old machines (Android 4.1.1; 4.2.2; and 5.0), and it works OK.

Thank you again, you are a great team!.

New version 5.6.1 tested on the same old machines (Android 4.1.1; 4.2.2; and 5.0), and it works OK.
Thank you again, you are a great team!.
No problem! If you like Speccy, please, do leave feedback about it on Google Play. Every positive voice matters.