How to handle 2- or 3- start helix using the SPRING software?

Hiroshi Imai

Jun 7, 2018, 7:06:10 AM6/7/18
to emspring
Dear Carsten

The SPRING tutorial is fantastic and even I, a novice for helical reconstruction, was able to follow all the tutorial.
Now I would like to try helical reconstruction of microtubules.
TMV has one-start helix. On the other hand, microtubules have 2-, 3-, or 4- start helix as you know.

I guess, in principle, that the SPRING software could analyze microtubule structure.
Could you please let me know how to handle 2-, 3-, and 4- start helices using the SPRING?
If there are any instructions and/or good references under your recommendation, could you kindly let me know?
I would really appreciate it, if you can help me.

Best wishes,
Hiroshi
Osaka University

Carsten Sachse

Jun 11, 2018, 8:08:37 AM6/11/18
to emspring
Dear Hiroshi,

On Thursday, 7 June 2018 13:06:10 UTC+2, Hiroshi Imai wrote:
Dear Carsten

The SPRING tutorial is fantastic and even I, a novice for helical reconstruction, was able to follow all the tutorial.
Now I would like to try helical reconstruction of microtubules.
TMV has one-start helix. On the other hand, microtubules have 2-, 3-, or 4- start helix as you know.
You can specify the rotational symmetry in the following parameter:
Rotational symmetry 1 Additional x-fold rotational symmetry or x-number of helix start (accepted values min=1, max=100).

I guess, in principle, that the SPRING software could analyze microtubule structure.
Yes, it can reconstruct helical structures of microtubules. Remember, most microtubules have a seam. There is currently no simple way to reconstruct a seam with Spring. Although in principle possible. If someone is interested in coding this part, I would be happy to implement it.

Best wishes,

Carsten