[RFC] Deprecation proposal for wasm2js support (WASM=0)

10 views
Skip to first unread message

Sam Clegg

unread,
Oct 2, 2026, 4:34:57 PM (yesterday) Oct 2
to emscripte...@googlegroups.com
See https://github.com/emscripten-core/emscripten/issues/27608

Please reply here, or comment on the above issue if you are a user of this feature and would like to see it preserved.

cheers,
sam

Brooke Vibber

unread,
Oct 2, 2026, 5:38:27 PM (yesterday) Oct 2
to emscripte...@googlegroups.com
I think with IE 11 back-compat tweaks already gone I don't have any need for pure-JS output anymore. It served us well for Wikimedia's codec shim for a long time when we still needed it though, and there's always old versions of emscripten for rare weird projects! :D *salute emoji*

(Fun fact: in 2020 I wrote an experimental wasm2swf compiler which piggybacked on binaryen's 64-to-32-bit flattening transformations made for wasm2js, as AVM2 also has only 32-bit ints and 64-bit floats. It was a fun project, and I just wish I'd created it several years earlier because it performed about twice as fast as wasm2js output in IE 11's JS VM according to my codec tests! This used the same "domain memory" system as the CrossBridge compiler, but transformed an existing .wasm binary to ActionScript bytecode. Alas, Flash is long dead now so it's not a very useful project. ;) )

-- brooke vibber

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "emscripten-discuss" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to emscripten-disc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/emscripten-discuss/CAL_va284FjYcFsWnoD4saNS6ywEthpUohVS9rZ5LEn_B97Sq6w%40mail.gmail.com.

Nathan Rugg

unread,
2:52 PM (9 hours ago) 2:52 PM
to emscripten-discuss
At chess.com, we have been compiling the Stockfish chess engine to JS as a fallback for old clients. It is probably no longer necessary. I will try to get some stats on how many of our users are requiring it.

Nathan Rugg
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages