.tmp0 output file

Grayson Clark

Jun 10, 2024, 6:00:36 PMJun 10
to emscripten-discuss
I'm trying to use tup (https://gittup.org/tup/) as my build system. Part of it's quirk is that it tracks input and output files from build steps. Because emscripten outputs a .tmp0 file during the compilation process and deletes it before the end of compilation, tup picks it up but errors out because the file doesn't exist when it goes to check it's registry.
Of course this is more of a tup error, so no need for a "fix" here, but I'm wondering if there's a way to specify some control over where or how emscripten outputs that .tmp0 file.
If there is, let me know! Or if anyone knows where emscripten handles that file in code that would also be super appreciated.

Sam Clegg

Jun 10, 2024, 7:07:16 PMJun 10
to emscripte...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what this `tmp0` file might be.   I don't think we generate any files with names like that.   Where are you seeing that file being created?   Emscripten should only write temp files to the temp directory (e.g. `/tmp`).

cheers,
sam

Grayson Clark

Jun 14, 2024, 1:29:11 PMJun 14
to emscripten-discuss
It's getting placed next to the .html, .js, and .wasm output files. Not sure why or how....

Grayson Clark

Jun 14, 2024, 1:30:15 PMJun 14
to emscripten-discuss
Here's the tup output

[ tup ] [0.057s] Executing Commands...
* 0) [build-web] CMD /c emcc -g -sUSE_WEBGL2 --shell-file=configs/index.html build-web/./log.o build-web/./main.o -o build-web/app.html
 *** tup messages ***
tup error: File 'C:/Dev/sokol_wasm_tup_test/build-web/app.wasm.tmp0' was written to, but is not in .tup/db. You probably should specify it as an output
 -- Delete: C:/Dev/sokol_wasm_tup_test/build-web/app.wasm.tmp0
 *** Command failed due to errors processing the output dependencies.

Grayson Clark

Jun 14, 2024, 1:45:53 PMJun 14
to emscripten-discuss
Of note, tup creates a different process environment where typical environment variables may not be available. I tried making sure it has access to the TEMP env variable but saw the same behavior. Does emcc rely on any other env variables for temp directory related operations?

Sam Clegg

Jun 17, 2024, 5:07:12 PMJun 17
to emscripte...@googlegroups.com
I have no idea what phase of the linker might be creating that file.

One possible way to figure it out would be build with `EMCC_DEBUG=1` and then search the log for `.tmp0`.  Could you give that a try?

cheers,
sam