HL7 C-CDA Discharge Summary to NEMSIS Transformation

Joshua Legler

Mar 5, 2024, 3:08:05 PMMar 5
to ems-tas...@googlegroups.com

EMS Interoperability Task Force,

I have published an XSL transformation that extracts information from an HL7 C-CDA R2.1 Discharge Summary representing a patient’s hospital inpatient encounter and transforms it into the NEMSIS “eOutcome” format:

https://github.com/IHE/EMS/blob/main/Transformations/HL7%20CDA%20to%20NEMSIS/C-CDA-R2.1_DS_Inpatient_to_NEMSIS-3.5.0.md

There are a couple of potential uses for this resource:

  1. It can serve as a reference implementation showing where to find data in C-CDA Discharge Summary documents and convert it into the format defined by the eOutcome section of the NEMSIS standard.

  2. It can be embedded in actual implementations, where a Discharge Summary is first processed by this XSLT, then the resulting NEMSIS eOutcome fragment can be parsed by an ePCR system and attached or incorporated into the NEMSIS patient care report.

Along with the transformation file, there’s a sample C-CDA Discharge Summary document and a sample NEMSIS document representing the output from the transformation.

I’d be interested in knowing how this transformation performs on real-world CDA documents (which may not always be fully compliant with the CDA specification) and how it can be refined to extract the data that’s of interest to EMS as completely and accurately as possible. If you try it out, let me know how it goes.

We’re looking at developing additional transformation resources to be used for all stages of the EMS interoperability workflow where data may need to be converted to or from the NEMSIS standard. This serves as a starter, with more to come.

Thanks,

Josh

--

Joshua Legler