Important questions regarding using emqttd for 1M users

Bhanu Singh

May 31, 2016, 8:24:23 AM5/31/16
to emqtt
I am new to emqttd. I want to use it for an mqtt based request/response architecture. The scale i'm looking forward to is 1M. The architecture is CLIENTS --> EMQTTD --> App Server. Clients are going to write to their respective topics. I want to funnel all those requests to app server. I am doing this for a startup with very impressive growth prospects. So i am looking forward to an open source scalable broker. Emqttd fits the description. But before i dive deep into emqttd. I wanted to clarify a few things.

1) Funneling requests to app server : Is there an upper cap to the throughput achieved from a single queue? If yes then is there a way to divide all the messages into separate queues internally?

2) Binaries : Brokers like rabbitmq keep message bodies in a heap and just keep references in queue. This saves a lot of ram. Is it the same with emqttd?

3) Persistence: Although persistence is not important for me as of now but it can be in future. I already saw emqttd milestones. Persistence is in the pipeline. Is there going to be a fine grained control over it? Like per queue or per message on/off configuration.

4) Overall Throughput: The clients here are not sensors. They are mobile users. So even though throughput requirements are not that high they are not that low either. Number of connections benchmark of emqttd is very impressive. But i couldn't find anything related to throughput. Do you guys have that benchmark?  Does QOS2 and persistence heavily affect that benchmark?

5) Any other pitfalls you guys think i can encounter when i push this architecture in production for 1M users?

I know i can get answers to these questions by doing a thorough testing myself. But if you guys already know the answers then it is going to save me a lot of time.
Thankyou.

Bhanu Singh

May 31, 2016, 8:45:05 AM5/31/16
to emqtt
6) Does the dashboard has significant cpu/memory footprint? Is it recommended keep it on in production?

haris....@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2016, 2:26:04 PM6/30/16
to emqtt
Have you ever got your answers? If yes, do you mind sharing it with us?
They are very good questions/answers I think everyone would like to know those

Thank you,
All best
Haris

tomaz....@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2016, 5:15:02 PM10/15/16
to emqtt
I would appreciate sharing too. I would need configuration like thiss too.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Tomaz

pranee...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2020, 12:58:45 AM2/2/20
to emqtt

I know this is very very late reply. We are in a similar situation now can you share how are solved your issue it will be very helpful for community.

Thank you,

Best,
Praneeth

Kiran Kumar

Feb 2, 2020, 2:30:17 AM2/2/20
to emqtt
The issue is still there...I ried different solutions but nothing worked!