trash folder disappearing

enrico.frumento

Feb 23, 2011, 2:52:42 AM2/23/11
to Empty 'em Support
Hi,
this is the bahavior with this plugin. I have TB 3.0 with Penelope
extension installed (aka Eudora OSE).

The extension has two problems, much probably not related at all to
the presence of Penelope (all the other TB plugins I installed are
working fine).

1. sometimes the junk messages are moved to the trash folder and this
folder isn't emptied. I have to press the button twice.

2. sometimes when I press the button the junk folder is emptied but
the trash folder just disappear totally. I have to close and reopen TB
to see it again. And when I finally open it again I see that in the
trash folder there are a lot of messages deleted since a lot of time
and strangely re-appearing now. Probably the trash folder were not
compacted and thus old supposed-to-be-deleted messages are there
again.

Mahesh Asolkar

Feb 23, 2011, 11:45:22 AM2/23/11
to empty-em...@googlegroups.com
Hi Enrico, thanks for the report.

Could you provide a bit more information so I can try and reproduce the problem:

1. How many, and what type of accounts (IMAP/POP) do you have configured?
2. Do you see the same behavior when you disable all other add-ons?
3. Have you tried using a later version of Thunderbird (3.1.7 is the latest)?

Also if you could turn on console logging in Empty 'em preferences and send the log messages from the console. That would help a lot.

Thanks again,
Mahesh

enrico.frumento

Mar 1, 2011, 8:42:33 AM3/1/11
to Empty 'em Support
I just sent to you a reply.

Mahesh Asolkar

Mar 1, 2011, 2:32:50 PM3/1/11
to empty-em...@googlegroups.com
Hi Enrico,

Thanks for the information. I'll try to reproduce the issue and hopefully fix it.

I am including your email here for reference.

Hi,
here my reply.

> 1. How many, and what type of accounts (IMAP/POP) do you have configured?

I have configured 11 pop3 accounts

> 2. Do you see the same behavior when you disable all other add-ons?

apparently not, but have not done extensive tests without addons,
because it makes the client very unusable for my habits.

> 3. Have you tried using a later version of Thunderbird (3.1.7 is the
> latest)?

I just can't because Eudora OSE is running on top of TB 3.04 and can't
upgrade without loosing its additions. Not till they'll move to latest
TB.

These are my extensions.

http://img30.imageshack.us/i/clip159.jpg/

error console log is the following...

[Empty 'em] Listener - received folder event FolderLoaded folder Misc

 ----------
[Empty 'em] Listener - received folder event DeleteOrMoveMsgCompleted
folder Semantic Web and Web 3.0

 ----------
[Empty 'em] Listener - received folder event JunkStatusChanged folder
Inbox

 ----------
[Empty 'em] Listener - received folder event DeleteOrMoveMsgCompleted
folder Inbox

 ----------
[Empty 'em] Prefs
 override_delete_confirm = true
 select_trash_delete = true
 select_junk_delete = true
 ----------
[Empty 'em] Junk folder probably not configured. Skipping it...
 ----------
[Empty 'em] Junk folder probably not configured. Skipping it...
 ----------
[Empty 'em] Junk folder probably not configured. Skipping it...
 ----------
[Empty 'em] Junk folder probably not configured. Skipping it...
 ----------
[Empty 'em] Junk folder probably not configured. Skipping it...
 ----------
[Empty 'em] Junk folder probably not configured. Skipping it...
 ----------
[Empty 'em] Junk folder probably not configured. Skipping it...
 ----------
[Empty 'em] Emptying Junk from folder (Junk on Local Folders) override
= true
 ----------
[Empty 'em] Junk folder probably not configured. Skipping it...
 ----------
[Empty 'em] Junk folder probably not configured. Skipping it...
 ----------
[Empty 'em] Junk folder probably not configured. Skipping it...
 ----------
[Empty 'em] All junk gone. Now cleaning Trash
 ----------
[Empty 'em] Listener - received folder event FolderLoaded folder Trash

 ----------
[Empty 'em] Listener unsolicited (Trash on ACCOUNT 1)
 ----------
[Empty 'em] Emptying Trash from folder (Trash on ACCOUNT 1) override =
true
 ----------
[Empty 'em] Exception - [Exception... "Component returned failure
code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIMsgFolder.emptyTrash]"
nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame ::
chrome://emptyem/content/
overlay.js :: anonymous :: line 172"  data:
no]
 ----------
[Empty 'em] Stack - undefined
 ----------
[Empty 'em] Listener - received folder event DeleteOrMoveMsgCompleted
folder Junk

Note that the ACCOUNT 1 is actually a webmail account which is
accessed through WebMail and its Libero extension. But it's not the
only one and all the other similar webmail accounts are not giving
problems (it's not even the only libero based account present).
Empty 'em add-in depends on an account's ability to empty Trash and Junk folders via standard Thunderbird API. If an extension (like Webmail) does not implement the API as expected, this add-on may need some tweaking to interface with such accounts.

I'll look at this closely and update you soon.

Thanks,
Mahesh

Grammatrain

Mar 1, 2011, 10:06:19 PM3/1/11
to Empty 'em Support
I just wanted to mention that I also reported this issue so if I can
provide any data let me know.

enrico.frumento

Mar 8, 2011, 1:21:11 AM3/8/11
to Empty 'em Support
any news about this bug? thanks in advance!

Howard Spindel

Jul 30, 2015, 10:06:41 PM7/30/15
to Empty 'em Support, enrico....@gmail.com
I see the same thing (TB 38.1).

The disappearing trash icon seems to be caused by the trash file becoming corrupted.  I can make the icon reappear by repairing the trash mailbox.