Empire & Stardog 4.0

Conrad Leonard

Nov 9, 2015, 8:51:44 PM11/9/15
to Empire
Hi Mike,

What would be the quickest way to get Empire core and stardog to build against Stardog 4.x, currently 4.0-RC3?

The motivation here is that we use Empire to interact with Stardog, and we're keen to upgrade to Stardog 4.x.

Naively replacing:
stardogVersion = "3.0" with "4.0-RC3"
in top-level build.gradle fails with missing dependencies specified in stardog/build.gradle:
com.complexible.stardog.repair:stardog-repair:4.0-RC3

I guess that doesn't exist there anymore, and honestly I didn't expect that simply bumping the version up in the build script would work given how much reorganization probably happened between 3.x and 4.x, but I'm wondering how much effort it will be to make it go - is it some relatively minor renaming of classes & packages or is the whole project going to require reworking?

cheers,
Conrad.

Michael Grove

Nov 9, 2015, 9:09:01 PM11/9/15
to empir...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 8:51 PM, Conrad Leonard <conrad.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Mike,

What would be the quickest way to get Empire core and stardog to build against Stardog 4.x, currently 4.0-RC3?

The motivation here is that we use Empire to interact with Stardog, and we're keen to upgrade to Stardog 4.x.

Naively replacing:
stardogVersion = "3.0" with "4.0-RC3"
in top-level build.gradle fails with missing dependencies specified in stardog/build.gradle:
com.complexible.stardog.repair:stardog-repair:4.0-RC3

You can remove that dependency, it's not actually needed by Empire.

I guess that doesn't exist there anymore, and honestly I didn't expect that simply bumping the version up in the build script would work given how much reorganization probably happened between 3.x and 4.x, but I'm wondering how much effort it will be to make it go - is it some relatively minor renaming of classes & packages or is the whole project going to require reworking?

The upgrade isn't too bad for RC3.  For final, there's quite a bit more work; we upgraded to Sesame 4.0 final and there are a lot of backward incompatible changes between M1 and final.  There's a few other hurdles which are not too bad.  I have the code migrated over locally and we'll push it public when we go final w/ 4.0 later this month.

Cheers,

Mike

cheers,
Conrad.

Conrad Leonard

Nov 9, 2015, 10:02:50 PM11/9/15
to Empire

On Tuesday, 10 November 2015 12:09:01 UTC+10, mhgrove wrote:

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 8:51 PM, Conrad Leonard <conrad.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Mike,

What would be the quickest way to get Empire core and stardog to build against Stardog 4.x, currently 4.0-RC3?

The motivation here is that we use Empire to interact with Stardog, and we're keen to upgrade to Stardog 4.x.

Naively replacing:
stardogVersion = "3.0" with "4.0-RC3"
in top-level build.gradle fails with missing dependencies specified in stardog/build.gradle:
com.complexible.stardog.repair:stardog-repair:4.0-RC3

You can remove that dependency, it's not actually needed by Empire

Yep, did that, then ran into some java version complaints from gradle (class files in jars downloaded by gradle are compiled for jdk 8 but I'm compiling with 6 to make apt stuff work) and kind of left it there, not knowing how much deeper the rabbit hole went...

I guess that doesn't exist there anymore, and honestly I didn't expect that simply bumping the version up in the build script would work given how much reorganization probably happened between 3.x and 4.x, but I'm wondering how much effort it will be to make it go - is it some relatively minor renaming of classes & packages or is the whole project going to require reworking?

The upgrade isn't too bad for RC3.  For final, there's quite a bit more work; we upgraded to Sesame 4.0 final and there are a lot of backward incompatible changes between M1 and final.  There's a few other hurdles which are not too bad.  I have the code migrated over locally and we'll push it public when we go final w/ 4.0 later this month

That'd be awesome; thanks!