e-1A4, e-1A5, e-1A6

Douglas Davidson

Dec 22, 2008, 2:55:48 PM12/22/08
to emoji4...@googlegroups.com
This feedback is regarding e-1A4 "BLOND PERSON", e-1A5 "MAN WITH LONG
MOUSTACHE", and e-1A6 "MAN WITH TURBAN". I feel obliged to point out
that characters of this sort, dealing as they do in ethnic and racial
stereotypes, are likely to be considered objectionable by many users--
myself among them--at least in their current embodiments.

In this case, I think the committee's focus on graphic appearance
rather than semantics for naming has proved unhelpful, because it is
precisely elements of their current graphic appearance that make these
objectionable, while at the same time the graphic names notably fail
to convey the import of these characters.

If the names were to be taken as straightforward translations from the
Japanese, these characters would be called something like "WHITE
PERSON", "CHINESE PERSON", and "INDIAN PERSON". Under descriptions of
this sort, it might be easier to provide less-objectionable graphic
representations.

Douglas Davidson