Mark's chemo dr visit

Miriam Elliott

Sep 17, 2022, 12:34:05 PM9/17/22
to emmanuel-men...@googlegroups.com, juanm...@gmail.com, ebyb...@yahoo.com, anme...@gmail.com
We saw the medical oncology dr yesterday re the planned chemo treatments. He reinforced what the radiation oncologists said telling us this is "highly curable" , it hasn't spread and that Mark has "a relativity small amount of disease". He'll get chemo once per week for 6 weeks. And he told us that the chemo they are using is not very toxic, won't cause hair loss or any major problems. Nor will it cause him to be immunocompromised (a question I asked). They will monitor his immune system by drawing blood before each visit (on site lab with results in 20 minutes) to be sure it's safe to give the chemo. His immune system still won't be as strong so he has to be careful, wash hands, mask, etc. But he already is at home a lot (back pain) & due to his COPD is always masked, etc if he goes out to protect him from COVID so no radical changes needed by him.

Lots of planning needed by both depts so that's why he isn't starting radiation till 9/26. Radiation has to set up computer program to accurately target treatment areas. And chemo has to deal with insurance authorization before he can begin, don't have start date yet for that.

We loved the chemo dr, Dr Jones! A great guy, totally focused on Mark/us as if Mark were his only patient, not rushed, explained things well, answered our questions. Radiation was great too but more clinical in their approach. And then when we were done Dr Jones told us he was a hugger and gave both of us big strong hugs! Love this guy!

All these cancer center folks are great. Really care about us. Really dedicated to providing excellent care. We feel we are in very good hands. All this will help us get through this.

Love,
Miriam