Fwd: FOR News: Sept. 2022

eve...@aol.com

Sep 8, 2022, 8:29:35 AM9/8/22
to emmanuel-men...@googlegroups.com, ebyb...@yahoo.com, masu497...@yahoo.com, juanm...@gmail.com, anme...@gmail.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Ethan, Fellowship of Reconciliation <communi...@forusa.org>
To: eve...@aol.com
Sent: Thu, Sep 8, 2022 7:54 am
Subject: FOR News: Sept. 2022

A talk w/Dr. James Zogby; World Women's Conf. in Tunisia; & more
We invite you to our inaugural Gathering Voices conversation on September 20. Gathering Voices -- a continuation of the recorded series of the same name that began in the height of the pandemic -- will be a live, monthly zoom conversation series in which FOR-USA engages with front-line activists and thought leaders.

On Tuesday, Sept. 20th at 4pm ET, FOR-USA Executive Director Ariel Gold will host her good friend Dr. James Zogby, founder & president of the Arab American Institute, for our inaugural live conversation. Register here. We hope you can join us.

These live monthly events are part of our change to Tuesdays (from Thursdays) of FOR's weekly Building Community & Sharing Hope gatherings on Zoom. Those virtual circles will now be at 4pm Eastern (1pm Pacific), on Tuesdays starting on Sept. 13th. Reply to this message to receive info to join any of our FOR Sharing Hope gatherings.
Today in Tunis: Women's Congress Challenges Empire & Colonialism

FOR-USA leaders Susan Smith (director of operations) & Chrissy Stonebraker-Martinez (National Council past chair) are in Tunisia as two of five U.S. delegates to the 3rd World Women's Conference of Grassroots Peoples. "Greetings to our FOR family from Tunis!" they proclaimed last night, just after presenting a workshop titled "The U.S. Empire: Its Horrific Legacy and the Need to Dismantle the So-Called UN 'Security Council'."

Participants engaged in deep conversation, reported our colleagues. "We discussed the horrific legacy of U.S. empire against Black and Brown bodies, including the Indigenous peoples of Turtle Island, and those forcibly abducted from Africa and brought into slavery by colonizers. U.S. empire is flagrantly in violation of UN conventions, treaties, and resolutions pertaining to international justice, peace, security, human rights, and environmental sustainability. Since the first WWC congress, the agreed-upon fundamental principles of this collective work are to struggle: for the liberation of women; against imperialism, against the exploitation of workers all over of the world; against mass unemployment; against the destruction of the natural environment; against the dependence that imperialism has placed upon us, the peoples and nations; and against neo-colonialism and colonialism."

Stay tuned to FOR social media for more followup to WWC3-Tunis.

We are immensely saddened to share news of the death of Virginia Baron, distinguished advocate for global peace & anti-war movements and consummate communications professional. Baron, 91, participated in the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs & Freedom (while pregnant), and also the historic Selma-to-Montgomery civil rights march two years later.

She then spent decades in leadership at FOR-USA, the International FOR, and the War Resisters League, as well as editing national publications. Baron served as editor of Fellowship magazine, FOR-USA interim executive director, IFOR president, and more... A memorial service will be held on Friday, Sept. 30th at First Presbyterian Church in downtown Manhattan, her longtime congregation. [MORE]
Rev. Bob Brashear ¡Presente!

FOR mourns the late August death of Rev. Dr. Bob Brashear, following a lengthy illness. Dedicated to justice & peace work throughout his lifelong ministry, Brashear was an advocate for many headline issues, including ending homelessness, strengthening public health, and the rights of refugees and migrants. He drafted social witness policy for his denomination (Presbyterian Church, USA), and was a core member of the International Sanctuary Declaration Network. Reverend Bob Brashear, ¡Presente!
Beginning Sept. 15, 2022, On Earth Peace is offering an online Level 1 training in Kingian Nonviolence Conflict Reconciliation. This process is an approach to conflict and community leadership that offers principles and methods useful for anyone who wants to use conflict constructively in your personal life, in group settings, or in community issues and building a reconciled world. [MORE]
From September 21 to October 2, 2022 (the International Day of Peace to the International Day of Nonviolence) join tens of thousands of people in calling for a culture rooted in nonviolence. For the 9th consecutive year, Pace e Bene Nonviolence Service is organizing these global days of action to mobilize communities worldwide on a range of issues. From renewable energy to housing for all, we’re connecting the dots between the issues and proposing a bold vision for nonviolent solutions to our pressing crises. [MORE]
Join a conversation with Presbyterian Peace Fellowship leaders to hear more about how you can take action on many of the issues that were voted on at this year's General Assembly. Let's make waves together!
The Methodist Federation for Social Action asks, "What can we do, as individuals and as a movement, to achieve more honest and justice-oriented media coverage of Israeli colonialism and apartheid and the Palestinian people's liberation struggle?" Join MFSA's Sept. 14th webinar, hosted in partnership with United Methodists for Kairos Response. [MORE]
Visit our online store to see all our current options.
September 3-10: 3rd World Women's Conference, Tunisia
Sept. 10: Ksamavani (Jainism)
Sept. 11: Remembering the military coup d'etat in Chile (1973)
Sept. 11: Remembering the terrorist attacks in the U.S. (2001)
Sept. 11: Remembering the death of Desmond Lewis in Shreveport LA (2021)
Sept. 15: Remembering the terrorist bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham AL (1963)
Sept. 15: U.N. International Day of Democracy
Sept. 15 - Oct. 15: Latinx Heritage Month
Sept. 16: U.N. International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer
Sept. 17: Occupy Wall Street movement begins (2011) -- Watch FOR's 30-minute documentary film #Occupy@10: An Oral History
Sept. 20-26: Higan-e (Buddhism)
Sept. 21: U.N. International Day of Peace
Sept 22: Birth date of Rev. James Lawson (1928), author of the new book Revolutionary Nonviolence: Organizing for Freedom
Sept. 22: Autumnal Equinox
Sept. 25: Rosh Hashanah begins at sundown (Judaism)
Sept. 26: Navaratri begins (Hinduism)
Sept. 26: International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons
Sept. 30: National Day for Truth & Reconciliation (Canada)
October 2: Birth date of Mohandas Gandhi (1869)
Oct. 2: U.N. International Day of Nonviolence
Oct. 2: World Communion Sunday (Christianity)
Oct. 4: Yom Kippur begins at sundown (Judaism)
Oct. 8: Mawlid al-Nably (Islam)
Fellowship of Reconciliation | Box 271, Nyack, NY 10960
Unsubscribe eve...@aol.com
Update Profile | Constant Contact Data Notice
Sent by communi...@forusa.org