Profiles application

davewi...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2013, 6:56:29 AM6/27/13
to emf-pr...@googlegroups.com

Hi all!

Thanks for the great idea of introducing profiling mechanisms in EMF.

I have downloaded the latest version of EMF Profiles and I've been trying to learn how to use them practically, but (as I've read in other discussions) there is still a lack between the current version and tutorials. So, I would like to explain my problems and to hope you can help me, since I think that EMF profiles might be very useful for my academic research.

First, I cannot see any wizard and/or entries like "Create EMF Profile" and so on. The only possibility I have for creating a profile is to select "File -> New -> EMF Profile Diagram", which opens the EMF Profile Perspective, i.e. the graphical editor. The latter is the unique "artifact" which I can interact with.

At this point, I have created a simple profile in the "paper reviewing" domain, but the main problem is that it's not clear to me how to apply the profile to an ecore model since, as I said before, I can interact only with the profile diagram. Hence, what I am trying to do is simple: I just want to apply the profile I have created :-)

Maybe I didn't provide enough details. If someone is interested to help me, please don't hesitate to reply. Your work is very promising for me and I really want to use it in my future research activities and papers.

I've attached a screenshot showing what I've been able to do up to now. The next step is to apply that profile to the PaperCollection.xmi file.

Thanks in advance for any reply,
Davide.
EMFProfilesScreenshot.png

Philip Langer

Jun 27, 2013, 1:41:29 PM6/27/13
to emf-pr...@googlegroups.com, davewi...@gmail.com
Hi Davide,

I'm very glad to hear that you like the idea of EMF Profiles and that you plan to use it for your research!

I've to admit that you are right -- the documentation is out of date very much :) However, I try to create a new documentation that is more up to date, unfortunately, I didn't manage to write up more that a documentation on how to create profiles so far. Here is the documentation for creating profiles:

I'll write up another article documenting how to apply profiles soon -- hopefully :)

In the meanwhile, I hope the following short description helps you to get started:
To apply a profile, you need to open the model to which you want to apply the profile, open the EMF Profile > Profile Application View and hit the green plus button in that view. Then, you may choose the file to which you want to save the profile application and select the profile to be applied. Once the profile application is displayed in the profile application view, you can right-click any element in the model to which you want to apply the profile and select "Apply Stereotype".

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! In case, you don't know that paper yet, maybe this is also a help to you:

Good luck with your research!

Best wishes,

Philip

davewi...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2013, 9:39:12 AM6/28/13
to emf-pr...@googlegroups.com, davewi...@gmail.com

Hi Philip,

thanks for your fast reply :-)

I have checked the documentation and the journal paper. Many thanks for the references. They'll be very useful once I'll have resolved my problem.
The point is that I cannot "open the EMF Profile > Profile Application View and hit the green plus button in that view.", as you can see from the two attached images myFileMenu.png and mySelectWizard.png.
Is the update site I used for downloading EMF Profiles (see the attached myUpdateWizard.png) right? Could it be possible that it exist an updated version of EMF Profile or another update site? I don't know where to find a version that would allow to me to access menu entries/wizards you are referring to.

I really think that once this problem will be solved everything will be working fine :-)

Best wishes,
Davide.
myFileMenu.png
mySelectWizard.png
myUpdateWizard.png

Philip Langer

Jul 1, 2013, 10:38:58 AM7/1/13
to emf-pr...@googlegroups.com, davewi...@gmail.com
Davide,

the update site and version you showed in the screenshot look correct.

For opening the view, you should be able to click in Eclipse Window > Show View > Other... > EMF Profiles (not the "File" menu and the "New..." menu). There, you should see two EMF Profiles-specific views. One showing the registered profiles and the other one is for showing the profile applications (this is the one with the green plus button). Is that what you've tried? Aren't there these two views available in your Eclipse installation?

Best wishes,

Philip

davewi...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2013, 1:20:10 PM7/1/13
to emf-pr...@googlegroups.com, davewi...@gmail.com

Hi Philip,

attached you can find my "Show View" window, where it seems the "EMF Profiles" view is missing.
I've installed (two times) EMF Profiles both on my Eclipse Indigo and Juno installations and I have the same problems.

Thanks for your patience ;-)

Davide.
myShowView.png

Philip Langer

Jul 15, 2013, 8:04:42 PM7/15/13
to emf-pr...@googlegroups.com, davewi...@gmail.com
Hi Davide,

sorry for the long delay! It has been pretty busy lately :/

I'm afraid, I can't really think of a specific problem that causes the views to not appear in your Eclipse instance. There seems to be something wrong with the installation of the EMF Profiles plugins.

Did the installation work without error messages?

Which operating system and architecture are you using? I can provide you with a ready-to-run Eclipse installation, if that would help you.

Best wishes,

Philip

davewi...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2013, 2:00:17 PM8/7/13
to emf-pr...@googlegroups.com, davewi...@gmail.com

Hi Philip,

the installation works without error messages...
I'm working with Eclipse Indigo on Windows 7...a ready-to-run Eclipse installation could help me a lot :-)

Best wishes,
Davide.

P.S.: sorry for the delay! ;-)

Philip Langer

Aug 9, 2013, 5:16:26 AM8/9/13
to emf-pr...@googlegroups.com, davewi...@gmail.com
No Problem! For which JRE should I prepare the Eclipse bundle? 32b or 64b?

Best wishes,

Philip

tanjaema...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2013, 6:28:31 AM9/5/13
to emf-pr...@googlegroups.com, davewi...@gmail.com
Hello Davide,

I prepared an Eclipse Bundle with EMF Profiles installed. You can find the Eclipse Bundle at the following link:
http://www.modelexecution.org/media/eclipse_kepler_emfprofiles/eclipse_kepler_emfprofiles.zip

I also prepared a small example which you can find at:
http://www.modelexecution.org/media/eclipse_kepler_emfprofiles/emfprofiles_exmaple_workspace.zip

The Eclipse Bundle is tested under Windows 7 64bit with JRE 1.7 installed.

Cheers,
Tanja