Who wants the emesene.org domain?

dx

Mar 24, 2013, 4:56:43 PM3/24/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
Okay that title sounds like i'm selling emesene. Hi guys it's me, dx. Remember me? No? Oh :(

The emesene.org domain was registered in 2007 by my ex-boss, with whois info assigned to marianoguerra. Every year he (my ex-boss) been paying to renew it. And that's pretty awesome. But I don't work for him anymore and he's not in a perfect economic situation right now so I can't ask him to pay for it anymore.

So yeah, it expires in one month (21st of april exactly), and i'd like to transfer it to someone else as soon as possible (it's a bad idea to transfer one week before the expiration date, I heard).

And yes I know it's a terrible moment to ask for this, given the imminent death of MSN. Oh well. (It should have died already but I got an email saying that i have two weeks left)

Needless to say, whoever gets the domain must be someone trusted by the community.

ps: i'm currently working on the p2p stack of the e3 msn library, ETA 8th of April (i expect it to be ready before the servers are closed completely, don't worry)

Josh F

Mar 25, 2013, 3:57:49 PM3/25/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
I might be interested, im the OS X dev. How much?

dequis

Mar 25, 2013, 5:58:01 PM3/25/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
I'm not "selling" it, so it's the cost of the transfer that your
registrar decides, usually between $7 and $10 (US dollars) for one
year.

For reference, the previous registrar is godaddy, the one i use for my
personal domain is dynadot. The former has a transfer price of $7.50
and the latter is $10, but there are several reasons that make godaddy
a bad option though. They are popular but mediocre, and they were
supporters of SOPA until the whole internet got so mad that they had
to change their stance.

Also before the transfer I need C10uD to confirm that it's okay (i
don't know anyone else from the dev team, sorry!)

dequis

Mar 25, 2013, 6:01:51 PM3/25/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
(I just noticed I sent the first email from my other address and
replied with this one. Sorry for the confusion! It's not like you need
to confirm my identity anyway, nobody is going to send me money for
this, the only transaction is to the registrar after you get some
transfer code.)

Mariano Guerra

Mar 25, 2013, 6:33:50 PM3/25/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
Quoting dequis (2013-03-25 23:01:51)
> (I just noticed I sent the first email from my other address and
> replied with this one. Sorry for the confusion! It's not like you need
> to confirm my identity anyway, nobody is going to send me money for
> this, the only transaction is to the registrar after you get some
> transfer code.)

if it's worth something I confirm that dx manages the domain since the beginning,
he was our second BDFL and the one who never finished the p2p stack :P

Riccardo (c10ud)

Mar 25, 2013, 6:58:43 PM3/25/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
hai sir sup

to be honest I wanted to hear Mariano's opinion on this. Do we still need such a classy domain?
Or I can just send you the $7 or whatever so you keep it alive for one more year and then we decide (?)

Riccardo (c10ud)

2013/3/25 dequis <d...@dxzone.com.ar>
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "emesene" group.

dequis

Mar 25, 2013, 7:07:10 PM3/25/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
On 25 March 2013 19:58, Riccardo (c10ud) <c10u...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hai sir sup
>
> to be honest I wanted to hear Mariano's opinion on this. Do we still need
> such a classy domain?

Let's not break links at this point, if we're going to let it drop,
let it happen after it's been redirecting somewhere else for a few
months.

Of course I believe it doesn't take much effort to keep it. I just
can't do it because I'm internet-poor until the
futuristic-cybermoney-making machine I ordered arrives.

> Or I can just send you the $7 or whatever so you keep it alive for one more
> year and then we decide (?)

That could work, but then we would have to repeat this conversation
the next year, and again I'm not the one who currently owns it, it's
my ex-boss who i don't want to bother anymore.

Fabio Sasso

Mar 26, 2013, 12:59:38 PM3/26/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
If this software will continue to exist, I propose new name and new domain, why keep emesene anymore?

my 2 cents

Riccardo (c10ud)

Mar 26, 2013, 2:19:07 PM3/26/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
Fine then.

I'd give the domain to my trusted friend underguiz.
Probably many of you don't know him but he's a sysadmin who has been hanging in the #emesene channel since day 0 or so..

If you are ok with this, just send me whatever is needed in private or come by in #emesene where you can find us both.

Riccardo (c10ud)

Mariano Guerra

Mar 26, 2013, 3:37:29 PM3/26/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
Quoting Fabio Sasso (2013-03-26 17:59:38)
> If this software will continue to exist, I propose new name and new domain, why
> keep emesene anymore?

known brand? :)

any suggestion for another name?

dequis

Mar 26, 2013, 4:56:57 PM3/26/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
On 26 March 2013 15:19, Riccardo (c10ud) <c10u...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fine then.
>
> I'd give the domain to my trusted friend underguiz.
> Probably many of you don't know him but he's a sysadmin who has been hanging
> in the #emesene channel since day 0 or so..

Yep, i remember him. Sounds perfect, I'll join the channel then.

Fabio Sasso

Mar 27, 2013, 6:37:04 AM3/27/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
the brand question is important but this is the right situation of a new brand and new objectives, the emesene name refer to an msn client that does not have sense anymore.

I don't have ideas about new name, we still need to plan what we want to do... :P

Legion 1978

Mar 27, 2013, 10:16:55 AM3/27/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
good point. setting new objectives will make a new name come out almost
by itself =)
i can help with graphics and branding stuff ;)

El 27/03/13 05:37, Fabio Sasso escribi�:

Ariel Juodziukynas

Mar 27, 2013, 1:10:21 PM3/27/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
Emesene was the "MSN" pronunciation written in spanish, so the new client could be called "Escaip" (that's how Skype's pronunciation is written in spanish) :P

2013/3/27 Legion 1978 <legio...@gmail.com>
good point. setting new objectives will make a new name come out almost by itself =)
i can help with graphics and branding stuff ;)

dequis

Mar 27, 2013, 1:59:11 PM3/27/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
lolfuckthatshit. I hate skype. Almost nobody cared to reverse engineer
the protocol (but it seems to be far more complex to get the basics
done, compared to MSNP), but there's a lot of clients that implement
support for it... using the skype "API" that requires you to have
skype running in the background. I really hate this situation.

My current msn client (bitlbee) is running on a headless box, so i'm
supposed to start a fake X server there to be able to use skype.

[/rant]

Of course it might be considered good for emesene to implement this
skype API somehow... I believe bitlbee uses this
https://github.com/awahlig/skype4py
> Google Groups "emesene" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/emesene/Maiuafe7K40/unsubscribe?hl=en.

Fabio Sasso

Mar 27, 2013, 2:50:27 PM3/27/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
gimeil, gitolc, icsemmeppippi, giabber... just kidding :D

btw one of the new objective could be android support.

dequis

Mar 27, 2013, 3:42:26 PM3/27/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
On 27 March 2013 15:50, Fabio Sasso <fabio...@gmail.com> wrote:
> gimeil, gitolc, icsemmeppippi, giabber... just kidding :D

actually i believe marianoguerra started a project called "yitok" for
gtalk at some point. may have been renamed later on... dunno.
(also the "yaber" e3 protocol module)
(does the current emesene version still have something left from the
e3 original plans?)

also, +1 for keeping the name regardless of the death of msn.

> btw one of the new objective could be android support.

if anyone else likes this idea, kivy is the way to go ( http://kivy.org/ )

but i'm not sure about this. it may result in poor integration, and
resources are much more limited on typical android phones. you don't
want to make an app that only runs in high end phones only.

just pointing out the fact that not all the desktop -> android ports
are smooth - don't really want to discourage anyone who wants to play
with this.

Mariano Guerra

Mar 27, 2013, 4:50:46 PM3/27/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
Quoting Fabio Sasso (2013-03-27 19:50:27)
> gimeil, gitolc, icsemmeppippi, giabber... just kidding :D
>
> btw one of the new objective could be android support.

that would require a complete rewrite.

I started an android version some years ago, but later I found there was
already an android MSN client so I droped it.

Mariano Guerra

Mar 27, 2013, 4:52:20 PM3/27/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
Quoting dequis (2013-03-27 20:42:26)
maybe we can think about some new webbased thing? maybe involving webRTC?

we can start a brainstorm thread maybe?

Riccardo (c10ud)

Apr 2, 2013, 2:59:55 PM4/2/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
So, when is this transfer happening? we are ready

greets

Legion 1978

Apr 2, 2013, 3:52:58 PM4/2/13
to eme...@googlegroups.com
well, if the path will be to take on skype, there should be focus on the
things skype is lacking (without hacks) like multi user login (dropped
in the latest updates) or the "now playing" changing status with album
cover (which was by far my favorite feature on emesene --yes, plugin i
know). dunno if the skype api allow such things but i think those would
actually have some impact in linux desktop users. regardless the name
change what really matters at this point is the direction to take,
objectives and resources available.

El 27/03/13 12:59, dequis escribi�: