Visual Programming for Industrial Controls

enigm...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2010, 10:39:10 AM7/26/10
to Emerging Languages Camp
Hi Folks,

I haven't been part of the conference, but I've been looking for
emerging higher level tools for allowing non-programmers/designers to
express their ideas in a visual format, particularly targeted control
systems for industrial applications.

Just wondering, from those of you who may have attended, if there were
any ideas presented that might be suitable for that environment?

Thanks!

Tom Van Cutsem

Jul 27, 2010, 2:37:35 AM7/27/10
to emergi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Two languages that I recall had visual PL influences were Thyrd by Phil Mercurio and Kodu by Matt MacLaurin.

Also, while he didn't talk about it explicitly at ELC, Jonathan Edwards' subtext might be worth checking out (there's an interesting screencast about it at http://www.subtextual.org/ )

Cheers,
Tom

Sean Jensen-Grey

Jul 27, 2010, 1:11:15 PM7/27/10
to emergi...@googlegroups.com
You should take a look at

I think it would be nice to combine ladder logic with subtext (for compact case statements) along with a tool to prove that your state machine couldn't get stuck.

A Tool for Practical Reasoning about State Machine Designs

The wikipedia page on visual languages has a rich selection of examples.

It might be fairly easy to extend http://www.pypes.org/ to include ideas from subtext, esp if one used the colored block syntax from scratch.

Sean