Announcing Emerging Languages 2014, in collaboration with the Future Programming Workshop

Alex Payne

Apr 3, 2014, 4:10:23 PM4/3/14
to emergi...@googlegroups.com

Dear PLT nerds,

This year, we’re doing something a little different at ELC. We’re teaming up with The Future Programming Workshop to bring you an event with an even bigger vision.

FPW is building a community of researchers and practitioners exploring the frontiers of programming. To that end, we’re looking for new ideas that could radically improve the practice of programming: ideas too embryonic for an academic paper, yet developed enough to demonstrate a prototype. Show us the future!

Our combined event, FPW×ELC, will be the day before Strange Loop on September 17, 2014 in St. Louis. A second FPWevent will take place at SPLASH in Portland, Oregon around Oct. 19 (pending approval).

FPW×ELC will present live demonstrations before an audience. By contrast, the SPLASH event will be an intense and private writer’s workshop. This process will be a chance to give and take both creative support and incisive criticism.

Submissions will be 15 minute demo screencasts. You can submit your proposal to either or both of the events. The submission deadline is June 8. Notifications will be sent out on June 27. After the events, participants will have until December 1 to revise their screencasts for archival publication on our website.

For questions, please see the FPW FAQ or email in...@future-programming.org.