Moves diagnostics

Peter Pauli

Feb 8, 2022, 6:42:26 AM2/8/22
to emcee users
Hi all,

I am using emcee in a hadron physics analysis where I try to estimate (depending on the problem) some 10-30 parameters (real and imaginary parts of complex numbers), some of them fairly correlated.
The likelihood is quite multimodal and might exhibit some real mathematical ambiguities.
I see that I have low acceptance, very long auto-correlation times and that one parameter in particular gets stuck easily.
I am currently experimenting with different moves and also wrote a few moves myself using some domain specific knowledge to explore the likelihood efficiently. Now I am wondering if there are good ways to diagnose the combinations of steps which I use.
E.g. if I use 3 different moves I would like to know if all three have low acceptance rates or if it is one in particular. Is there a way to do this efficiently? Are there recommendations on how to pick a good set of moves?

Thanks a lot,
Peter

Dan Foreman-Mackey

Feb 8, 2022, 7:41:24 AM2/8/22
to Peter Pauli
Hi Paul,
The main metric to use is the required computation per effective sample, but you can't really compute that until you've run a long chain, making the development cycle long. I don't really know of general tips for speeding this up. When I've done this I normally try to use some combination of physical insight and intuition to find something that works well enough. emcee doesn't currently track per-move stats (e.g. acceptance fraction), but I've always thought that would be a useful feature! I don't think there are any open issues or PRs on the GitHub repo, but perhaps it would be good to brainstorm some ideas.
Dan