Strange behaviour for emcee.autocorr.integratedtime

Dr Hogarth

Nov 19, 2021, 10:16:05 AM11/19/21
to emcee users
Hi,

I'm running a custom mcmc modelling code and using emcee.autocorr.integratedtime as a way to test whether the parameters in the models have successfully converged (i.e. models with chains with integratedtime * 50/(length of chain)>1 are discarded).

However, I'm finding that it's often throwing out what look like good models in favour of models that look less well converged. I've attached two corner plots from two models fit to the same data. The two_exp model fails but the exp_gauss doesn't, which seems wrong.

Thanks,
Lucy
8083-6101_exp_gauss_arctan_100000_runs_cornerplots.png
8083-6101_two_exp_arctan_100000_runs_cornerplots.png

Dr Hogarth

Nov 19, 2021, 10:18:09 AM11/19/21
to emcee users
Here are the chains for the two models. The auto correlation time finds that the rturn and vmax parameters fail for the two_exp model,  but says that all the chains for the exp_gauss model have converged successfully.

Lucy
8083-6101_two_exp_arctan_100000_runs_chains.png
8083-6101_exp_gauss_arctan_100000_runs_chains.png

Dan Foreman-Mackey

Nov 22, 2021, 8:56:48 AM11/22/21
to Dr Hogarth, emcee users
Hi Lucy,
I'll need more details, so I'll email you offlist to try to diagnose the situation.
Best,
Dan

Dan Foreman-Mackey
Associate Research Scientist