Although it does not contain "new features" in v0.9.0, it includes almost all the "incompatibilities" expected in v0.9.0. You can try this v0.9.0-ALPHA for checking compatibility issues in your environments.
If you see problems which are not listed below, please report the problems in out GitHub Issues :
Incompatibilities introduced in v0.9.0-ALPHA:
1) v0.9.0 no longer supports Java 7. v0.9.0 works only on Java 8.
2) Some older versions of some plugins may not work since some SPI/API are removed.
3) v0.9.0 parses time zones (especially for summer time) in a bit different way.
v0.8 interpreted time zones with Joda-Time's TZ database. v0.9 interprets with JVM's (Java 8) java.time TZ database.
4) Embulk would be no longer released as a gem (embulk.gem).
Bundler users: you need to change your Gemfile-s.
For proper Embulk releases, use :
For pre-releases like this 0.9.0-ALPHA, use
gem 'embulk', '= 0.9.0.alpha'
This is because embulk.gem is not published, but embedded in embulk-0.9.0-ALPHA.jar in a gem structure.
5) Ruby (gem) plugins are installed into ~/.embulk/lib/gem by default, not ~/.embulk/jruby/2.3.0.
The install directory won't change again per JRuby version upgrade.