the earliest living cells on Earth didn't have DNA

Evgenii Rudnyi

Jul 1, 2010, 3:53:45 PM7/1/10
to embryo...@googlegroups.com
Dear William,

I have found it.

From Science News, Vol. 173, No. 2, Jan. 12, 2008, p. 27.
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20080112/bob9.asp
Life from Scratch
Learning to make synthetic cells
Patrick Barry

http://www.synbiosafe.eu/uploads///pdf/ScienceNews_Life%20from%20Scratch.pdf

"More fundamentally, though, the earliest living cells on Earth didn't
have DNA or proteins at all, most scientists
think. Instead, those cells most likely relied on simpler RNA molecules
to act as both catalysts for chemical
reactions (as proteins do) and carriers of genetic information (like DNA)"

I am not sure what it means "most scientists". Presumably the author and
his friends. Anyway in the paper you will find more information.

Best wishes,

Evgenii

William R. Buckley

Jul 1, 2010, 4:36:34 PM7/1/10