EmbryoPhysics81:: Embryo Physics Course: Diatom morphogenesis

Richard Gordon

May 5, 2010, 8:28:32 PM5/5/10
to Dr. Stephen M. Levin MD, EmbryoPhysics,
Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:06 PM from Winnipeg, MB, Canada

I’m bccing this to the whole Embryo Physics Course mailing list, for those of you who wish to join the dialogue outside of class. Sign up at:

and post to:

Yours, -Dick Gordon

Dear Steve Levin,
Thanks for your comments below. Of course, silica is locally tetrahedral in structure, though I’m not sure how this is disrupted by the nH2O associated with it. The glass illustrated below would seem to have n=0. Biogenic silica is usually represented as Si(OH)4 + nH2O. I reviewed the evidence for microcrystallinity versus amorphous structure of diatom silica on p. 244 of:

Gordon, R. & R.W. Drum (1994). The chemical basis for diatom morphogenesis. Int. Rev. Cytol. 150, 243-372, 421-422. (80MB file, available on request)

in terms of the radial distribution function, as determined by x-ray diffraction and other methods, and concluded that there were simply no observations on fresh or live diatom shells, which would be the most relevant. I’d guess that such work still has to be done.

Yes, I agree that regarding the silicalemma (sometimes called silica deposition vesicle) as a membrane bag with no organized material within is not, at first glance, a wise presumption. What we have in the literature are images of isolated, nascent diatom valves versus time, but these only show us the precipitated silica. Such images, from:

Borowitzka, M.A. & B.E. Volcani (1978). The polymorphic diatom Phaeodactylum tricornatum: ultrastructure of its morphotypes. J. Phycol. 14(1), 10-21.

are on p.249 of Gordon & Drum (1994). The role of organic matter is in dispute. See:

Gordon, R., D. Losic, M.A. Tiffany, S.S. Nagy & F.A.S. Sterrenburg (2009). The Glass Menagerie: diatoms for novel applications in nanotechnology [invited]. Trends in Biotechnology 27(2), 116-127. (attached)

What the computer simulations suggest is that, given a nucleating center (linear for pennate diatioms, and a small ring for centric diatoms), it is plausible that there is no relevant structure within the silicalemma. Empirical evidence would be nice to have. Conceptually, I would argue that such structure would be deemed a prepattern, whose pattern would then need to be explained. If precipitation of silica proves an adequate explanation for the gross features of the pattern, then why not apply Occam’s razor? Of course, observation trumps a priori reasoning, which is why I call for more observation.

Chaos theory and complexity theory may have their place here, but would not explain the constant features that are shared by daughter cells and bigger clones. Thus they are not easily brought in as an explanation of why and how there are 100,000 morphologically distinct species.

I’m getting mixed messages regarding further interest in diatom morphogenesis and morphogenesis of other single cell organisms, such as ciliates: low attendance today and 3-4 people who couldn’t make it asking me to repeat it. I’ve decided to repeat the talk later and get back to vertebrates next week:

Dick Gordon     Hierarchical Genome: The Whole Megillah in 1 Hour       May 12, 2010
Dick Gordon     Condensed repeat of diatom morphogenesis, + motility (new), in 1 hour        June 9, 2010

The latter date is adjustable on request.

Thanks.

Yours, -Dick