Embryo Physics Course: basic processes? Speakers needed

Richard Gordon

Mar 20, 2010, 7:29:52 PM3/20/10
to embryo...@googlegroups.com, Dr. Evgenii Rudnyi
Saturday, March 20, 2010 6:04 PM from Winnipeg, Canada
Dear Evgenii,
Your question, “What are the basic processes that happen in the egg
during the development?“, is exactly what the Embryo Physics Course is
about. Perhaps you joined us after the sessions discussing Sergei
Evsikov’s work: just amongst our participants, we don’t even agree
whether the fertilized egg has spherical or some other initial
symmetry. So I could give you a huge number of references to read, but
none that I believe, including my own.

However, your question deserves a better answer. In amphibian embryos,
the initial steps are named fertilization, cortical rotation, and the
first cleavage. Later steps have been named blastulation,
gastrulation, neurulation, and segmentation. Each deserves at least a
full lecture. I could give them all from my point of view, but perhaps
some of our participants will step forward? Thanks.
Yours, -Dick Gordon

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:
> Dear Dick,
>
>> Nouri, C., R. Luppes, A.E.P. Veldman, J.A. Tuszynski & R. Gordon
>> (2008). Rayleigh instability of the inverted one-cell amphibian embryo
>> [Invited: "Physical Aspects of Developmental Biology" special issue,
>> Guest Editor Shane Hutson, Vanderbilt University]. Physical Biology
>> 5(1), 015006.
>>
>> in which our assumptions were:
>>
>> 1. Two fluids of different densities, with an interface, to
>> approximate a single, initially stratified fluid.
>> 2. Newtonian behavior, when we know viscoeleasticity is present.
>
> I have finally read the paper more carefully. I find it very
> interesting. I would never think that a rotation of an amphibian egg
> could influence its development.
>
> I lack however the knowledge about the phenomenology of an egg, say an
> amphibian egg. What reading could you recommend as a starter with the
> goal to learn the terminology and basic processes that happens in the
> egg during the development?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Evgenii
>
> --

Haiti Earthquake Kids’ Education:
http://www.freeplayfoundation.org/haitiearthquakefund.html
Dr. Richard Gordon, Professor, Radiology, University of Manitoba
GA216, HSC, 820 Sherbrook Street, Winnipeg R3A 1R9 Canada
E-mail: gor...@cc.umanitoba.ca, Skype: DickGordonCan, Second Life:
Paleo Darwin, Cell: 1-(204) 995-7125
Embryo Physics Course: http://embryophysics.org/;
http://bookswithwings.ca; Adjunct Scientist: TRLabs, http://www.win.trlabs.ca/
http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/radiology/stafflist/rgordon.html
Affiliate, Institute of Industrial Mathematical Sciences (IIMS),
http://www.umanitoba.ca/institutes/iims/
Principal Scientific Advisor, EvoGrid: http://www.evogrid.org