Compressive sensing

Evgenii Rudnyi

Sep 22, 2010, 6:23:59 PM9/22/10
to embryo...@googlegroups.com
After some search I have found some paper

Compressive Algorithms. Adaptive Solutions of
PDEs and Variational Problems
http://www.ricam.oeaw.ac.at/people/page/fornasier/fornasierSurf.pdf

Well, it looks like some sort of a new iterative solver. Hard to say. I
have to look more carefully. Yet, it looks like this research is at the
very beginning.

I am afraid that if you want to solve some PDE right now, you have a
choice either just to solve it with FEM/FVM (could be BEM) or spent some
years of research on compressive sensing without having the PDE solved.

Evgenii

Dr. Richard Gordon

Sep 22, 2010, 9:31:37 PM9/22/10
to embryo...@googlegroups.com, Evgenii Rudnyi, William Randolph Buckley
Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:13 PM Foxboro, MA, USA
Dear Igor,
Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> gave an excellent tutorial talk today in Embryo Physics Course http://embryophysics.org on “Introduction to Finite Element Simulation, Computer Aided Engineering (CAE)“ from a working engineer’s point of view. I asked if compressive sensing methods were in use to solve the sparse FEM equations. He’s done some homework on this, but perhaps you could comment out of your comprehensive bibliography? Thanks.
Yours, -Dick

Dr. Richard Gordon, Professor, Radiology, University of Manitoba GA216, HSC, 820 Sherbrook Street, Winnipeg R3A 1R9 Canada
E-mail: gor...@cc.umanitoba.ca, Skype: DickGordonCan, Second Life: Paleo Darwin, Cell: 1-(204) 995-7125
Embryo Physics Course: http://embryophysics.org/;
http://bookswithwings.ca; Adjunct Scientist: TRLabs, http://www.win.trlabs.ca/
http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/radiology/stafflist/rgordon.html
Affiliate, Institute of Industrial Mathematical Sciences (IIMS), http://www.umanitoba.ca/institutes/iims/
Scientist, Manitoba Institute of Child Health (MICH), http://www.mich.ca/
Principal Scientific Advisor, EvoGrid: http://www.evogrid.org

Susan Crawford-Young

Sep 23, 2010, 12:01:59 PM9/23/10
to Embyo Physics
Hi Dick,

I hope you are feeling better - I heard that you were sick. My apologies for not attending the session yesterday. Our WiFi is out here at the college and I had a student doing a midterm exam so I could not leave the room to find a hard wired computer. I will look at the lecture and try to figure it out on my own. I have been reading the manuscript by Dr. G. Pollack about water and it is very interesting. I like the narrative style he has chosen because it make the science less boring. The only thing I would like to see more of is the exact instrumentation used to do the measurements he has used.

Susan

> Subject: Re: EmbryoPhysics96:: Compressive sensing
> From: gor...@cc.umanitoba.ca
> Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:31:37 -0400
> CC: W...@wrbuckley.com
> To: embryo...@googlegroups.com; use...@rudnyi.ru

Dr. Richard Gordon

Sep 23, 2010, 3:06:40 PM9/23/10
to embryo...@googlegroups.com
Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:03 PM Foxboro, MA, USA
Dear Susan,
Yep, 3 hospitals, three endoscopic procedures, and one surgery later, I’m finally home in our RV trailer gaining my strength back. Start at MIT Monday, 2 weeks late. Thanks for your concern.

Write Jerry Pollack directly for details on his instrumentation.

On 2010-09-23, at 12:01 PM, Susan Crawford-Young wrote:

> Hi Dick,
>
> I hope you are feeling better - I heard that you were sick. My apologies for not attending the session yesterday. Our WiFi is out here at the college and I had a student doing a midterm exam so I could not leave the room to find a hard wired computer. I will look at the lecture and try to figure it out on my own. I have been reading the manuscript by Dr. G. Pollack about water and it is very interesting. I like the narrative style he has chosen because it make the science less boring. The only thing I would like to see more of is the exact instrumentation used to do the measurements he has used.
>
> Susan
>
> > Subject: Re: EmbryoPhysics96:: Compressive sensing
> > From: gor...@cc.umanitoba.ca
> > Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:31:37 -0400
> > CC: W...@wrbuckley.com
> > To: embryo...@googlegroups.com; use...@rudnyi.ru
> >
> > Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:13 PM Foxboro, MA, USA
> > Dear Igor,

> > Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> gave an excellent tutorial talk today in Embryo Physics Course http://embryophysics.orgon “Introduction to Finite Element Simulation, Computer Aided Engineering (CAE)“ from a working engineer’s point of view. I asked if compressive sensing methods were in use to solve the sparse FEM equations. He’s done some homework on this, but perhaps you could comment out of your comprehensive bibliography? Thanks.

Evgenii Rudnyi

Sep 23, 2010, 3:40:09 PM9/23/10
to embryo...@googlegroups.com
on 23.09.2010 00:23 Evgenii Rudnyi said the following:

It happens that in the paper that I have found yesterday there were no
words 'compressive sensing', they discuss actually compressive
algorithms. Well, it could be the same but I do not know. I have
searched a bit more. A search

"compressive sensing" pde

on Google Scholar produces some papers but actually most of them are not
directly relevant - it is some image recognition problems. Some papers
discuss solution of an inverse problem - some optimization problem with
PDE - but this is also something different.

Then there is a huge list of papers at

http://www.compressedsensing.com/

but I do not see an appropriate category, say PDE, Structural mechanics,
Electromagnetics, etc. are absent.

Hence I am a bit confused. It would be good if someone would give a
reference with an application of compressive sensing to solution of some
PDE, here I mean a direct problem without optimization and without an
inverse problem.

Finally I should say that there is a lot of new directions in solution
of PDEs, let me just mention a few

Lattice Boltzmann
Smooth Particle Hydrodynamics
Mesh-free methods

but clearly one can find more.

Evgenii

P.S. Recently there was an interesting discussion on LinkedIn in
Computational Fluid Dynamics Group

"How much time do you spend on cleaning the geometry and meshing?"

with 80 comments. You need to have an LinkedIn account and then be a
member of this group to read it - well, this is free.

http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&gid=66032&type=member&item=22412251&qid=64a805e2-37e0-41cd-9180-19c57a539fcf&goback=%2Egmp_66032

The discussion may look boring but this are real life problems in
simulation.

Steve Grand

Sep 23, 2010, 3:49:25 PM9/23/10
to embryo...@googlegroups.com
?Hello Dick,

Glad to hear you're ok! Take it easy at MIT.

- Steve

Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:03 PM Foxboro, MA, USA
Dear Susan,

Yep, 3 hospitals, three endoscopic procedures, and one surgery later, I�m

> > in Embryo Physics Course http://embryophysics.orgon �Introduction to
> > Finite Element Simulation, Computer Aided Engineering (CAE)� from a
> > working engineer�s point of view. I asked if compressive sensing methods
> > were in use to solve the sparse FEM equations. He�s done some homework

Beloussov Lev

Sep 23, 2010, 3:59:01 PM9/23/10
to embryo...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dick: just knew about your medical problems. Hope very much that quite soon you will recover completely. Embryophysics should keep themselves, this is a rare race!
With my best regards,
Lev