Qt Quick Ultralite / Embox

Aurindam Jana

Feb 19, 2021, 6:23:45 AM2/19/21
to embox...@googlegroups.com

Dear Embox Developers,

I am heading the MCU Software Tools business at The Qt Company. It was recently brought to my notice that you have a Qt based demo on Embox (https://github.com/embox/embox/wiki/Qt-on-STM32). However, it looks like that this is based on an older graphics library, Qt Widgets, using CPU rendering instead of using the 2D graphics engine. Is that correct?

I am not sure if you are aware of the new Qt Quick Ultralite rendering engine that we released in December 2019, under the product name ‘Qt for MCUs’?

Version 1.7 was released earlier this week -- https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-for-mcus-1.7-released

With the new rendering engine, we are able to achieve really low memory footprint and high graphics performance on the STM32F7 board – https://youtu.be/p9_Qy3kw1wc?t=65

Qt Quick Ultralite (QUL) can run both on bare metal (i.e. without any RTOS) and on a micro-kernel such as FreeRTOS. We also provide a platform porting guide so that users can port QUL to any hardware or RTOS of their choice -- https://doc.qt.io/QtForMCUs/platform-porting-guide-introduction.html

If QUL is of interest for the Embox project, please let me know and we can arrange evaluation licenses for your project.

Thanks for your support and looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Auri

--

Aurindam Jana | Product Director, MCU Software Tools | The Qt Company | aurind...@qt.io | https://de.linkedin.com/in/ajana | https://www.qt.io/

Anton Bondarev

Feb 20, 2021, 5:14:50 AM2/20/21
to embox...@googlegroups.com, Aurind...@qt.io
Dear Auri,

Thank you very much for your interest in Embox.

Yes, you are exactly right, now there is the only old Qt version (4.8.7) available in Embox. Also, we are going to port a newer version (5 or 6). We have already developed the ‘emboxfb’ platform plugin therefore we hope it will be easy enough.

We have heard about ‘Qt for MCUs’. It looks amazing. Thank you for the suggestion of the evaluation licence. We are interested in the MCUs version.

Embox main idea is to make Linux software available everywhere (especially for MCUs). We think that Qt is great software, and the ‘Qt for MCUs’ concepts are very similar to the Embox idea. We would be glad to collaborate with the Qt team.

Best regards,
Anton